Jambalaya....Crawfish Pie, Me Oh My Oh....

The Marine inspired me to start cooking Cajun again. I hadn't made much in quite some time. I love jambalaya and decided I was past due making some.


I like an assortment of meats in my recipe. I used andouille, tasso and chicken thighs.


I also used bacon so I would have the grease to make a roux.


I saved the bacon for another use.


I added 1/2 cup of flour to the bacon grease and made a dark chestnut colored roux.


After cutting all the meat into small pieces, I browned it in the pot. I di this before making the roux but got the pics out of order!


Dice lots of onions, peppers and celery.


Turn the heat off under the roux and throw in the veggies and toss them to coat and stop the roux from cooking further. Add about 4 tablespoons of your favorite Cajun seasoning or better yet, make your own.


Ad a can of crushed tomatoes.


Then add some chicken or beef stock, about 4 cups. I love shrimp in my jambalaya so I threw a pound or so of them in too.


Add 3 cups of uncooked rice. Cover and cook in a 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes or until the rice is cooked through and has absorbed most of the liquid.


This can be served with sliced green onions on top but alas.....I had none.

Comments

Guillaume said…
Looks delicious.
Freckles said…
What kind of pot do you use for the majority of your cooking? I have small dutch oven that's not very big. Do you have a size/ type that you prefer?
laurie said…
wow that looks so good,, i have never had Jambalya,, its sound swonderful,, I wonder can you freeze it?
Wishing I had a bowl of this right now! :)

Happy day!

xoxo to The Fluffy Red Chow-Chow- "Teddy".
Sonya said…
Oh wow, this looks so good!
Mina said…
Oh how delicious! I think I am drooling on the keyboard. Do you have another child who is single? I don't think hubby would mind me dating them as long as I brought home the leftovers. ;-)