Scotch Eggs

Scotch Eggs
My daughter's friend visited from out of town and asked that I make her my scotch eggs. I got up very early before it became too hot and whipped up a batch. Following are simple instructions for making them if you have never done so before.

Hard boil some eggs.

Either buy sage sausage or make your own and add plenty of fresh chopped sage. Mix it well.
Flatten a hamburger size amount of sausage. Do this with wet hands so it is easy to handle. Place a pealed hard boiled egg in the middle and mold the sausage around the egg and seal all seams.
Then roll the sausage ball in bread crumbs.
Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and place all the scotch eggs on it. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Bake for approx. 30 minutes. The time depends on how thick the sausage is that you wrapped around the egg. The first pic above of the finished egg is proportionate.

These can be eaten with all sorts of sauces. Most people use hot sauce.

Comments

Lucie Le Blanc said…
I am not much of a cook : that's my man's job ! But isn't that a easy one, even for me ? Wow, i'll sure try it !
The meat for the sausage, is it half pork, half beef ? Or all beef or all pork ? Or do I use anything I have left ? You see, not much of a cook... lol
Hi Jaz -- I just found your blog and I'm looking forward to following it. Where I live, it snowed today. But it's "spring" snow so it won't hang around too long.
Felinae said…
This recipe sounds really good, I'll have to give it a try. It also seems easy to modify using the vegetarian ground meat substitutes. Our daughter is a vegetarian, so I'm always looking for easy recipes to modify for her and make the original for the husband and myself, that way we are all eating the same thing...sort of. :D

Have a great day!

Smiles~Felinae~
jaz@octoberfarm said…
i think this would make a really good vegetarian meal using the meat substitute. i'm not sure if there is a vegetarian bulk sausage but i think you could spice the meat substitute to taste like sausage by adding garlic powder, red pepper flakes thyme and sage. i would use dried herbs because they will impart more flavor. let me know if you try it!