Journey Cakes

Omg...I am losing it! I got busy today and totally forgot to post! This is one of my favorite recipes from back in the day. This is an old hippie recipe for veggie pancakes which are actually good eaten cold. I added a bit of cheese but the original recipe did not call for any. I think they are actually better without the cheese. Basically you can do anything you want with this recipe. Add whichever veggies you like and you can replace the flour with breadcrumbs if you wish. Mung bean sprouts are good in these as well.


Shred a large zucchini, place it in a towel and squeeze out as much moisture as possible. Do the same with 1 large carrot or 2 medium ones.


Finally dice 2 stalks of celery.


Add some diced fresh parsley. Add lots of sliced green onions and about 1/2 cup grated onion.


Add 4 cloves of minced garlic.


I added some of my Turkish peppers. You can skip this or just add some red bell pepper.


I added 3/4 cup of flour but you can substitute bread crumbs.



I also added 1/4 cup of havarti and 1/4 cup of mozzarella. Next time I will leave the cheese out.


Mix in 2 eggs and add salt and pepper to taste. Mix together until thoroughly blended.


I like to fry these in a little sesame oil in a non stick pan. You can use the oil of your choice.


Drain on paper towels and allow them to cool off. Let the flavors develop for a while. i prefer these at room temperature or cold.

Comments

luckybunny said…
fish cakes tonight, but I'm so trying those tomorrow! Or maybe I'll break down and make the Beef-A-Roni :)
These certainly look better than what we in the south call Journey Cakes, or Johnny Cakes. I'll be making these soon, like tomorrow.
Anonymous said…
I like the name of these.They look tasty!
Barbara F. said…
Perfect recipe for me to try during my no meat days of Wed./Fri. They look really good. xo
Nellie said…
It's good to have another vegetarian recipe! Thank you for this one!
Anonymous said…
Just catching up with you. Been in California for the week visiting some of the family. Going next weekend to visit some other family members. I hate it when I miss all the blogs. Anyway, these Journey Cakes look soooo good. If you would have just told me about them, they might not have sounded good, but looking at them makes me hungry right now. Thanks.
Anonymous said…
Can anything actually be better without cheese :-) :-)

These sounds great to bring when I and my dogs takes longer walks. It's nice to take a break sometimes and it's always nice to have something to eat then.

Have a great day!
Christer.
TARYTERRE said…
This I LOVE. so easy to make too. Definitely going to try it. They'll be scrumptious, I know.
Ina in Alaska said…
Those look very tasty! For dinner last night I made a pot roast (used chuck roast) with all the trimmings, carrots, onions, celery, potatoes, bay leaves, broth. Seared the meat then slow cooked in the oven in my big Dutch Oven pot for 3.5 hours @325 degrees. Meat was fall apart tender. We have leftovers to enjoy so I don't have to bother with cooking and watch all the Oscar fashions and hair.

It was SO GOOD!
I'm sure old hippies would love these. They DO sound good!
brokenteepee said…
The hubby would love these...
SharleneT said…
Puff, the Magic Draaaagon, lived.... oh, yeah, the memories. Love foods like this. Used to make these and have the bean patties, too. Glad to know about the cheese. Was thinking about adding it at the start of your blog. Won't do it, now. But, need to make these, again. Thanks for sharing and making me think of my old leather vest with the beaded fringe days...