RHUBARB!

 It's that time of the year again.  Rhubarb time. This is something my whole family looks forward to.  Homemade bread toasted and served with rhubarb sauce.  When I was a little girl, my grandfather would make a bowl of this each week in the Spring.  I always loved the smell of it cooling in a bowl with a pat of butter on top.

 All you need to do is chop the rhubarb in 1/4 inch slices.

 Add some sugar.  Don't ruin it and add too much. Too much sugar masks the tasted of the luscious rhubarb. I add about 2/3 cup to about 8-10 large stalks.

 Add the zest of 1 lemon.

 Cover the pot and cook over medium heat until the rhubarb releases it's juice.  Remove the lid and stir the sauce until it thickens a bit and the individual pieces break down.

 Like Papa, pour it in a bowl and top it with a pat of butter.  Let it cool a bit.

 Toast some good bread and smear it on top.

Yum...it tastes like Spring.

Comments

Anonymous said…
this is EXACTLY how we have done it in our family for years and years and years!!!! Real old fashioned goodness!
Anonymous said…
Yum!
Suzanne said…
I cant wait to try it!

I love the plate.
Anonymous said…
We have never done this in my family but it looks delicious! But we always make rhubarb cream and rhubarb soup and I love both :-) and naturally rubarb pie with custard mmmm :-)

Have a great day!
Christer.
luckybunny said…
WANT!!! Ohh how I love rhubarb. Looks so yummy!
brokenteepee said…
I have some in my 'fridge and I didn't know what to do with it...I will have to try this
petoskystone said…
Looks good! I put up small batches of rhubarb/strawberry jam, vanilla/rhubarb jam, & had enough left over for a bit of rhubarb shrub.
Lucky you. You have lots of rhubarb coming.

Here, the extended family wants Rhubarb Pie, when it's ripe enough. :-)
I'm a rhubarb fan too -- love it!
Never ever seen rhubarb eaten like this - usually in crumbles or jams. Will keep this in mind when mine next produces.
Ellen in Oregon said…
I love making quick little batches of sauce/jam like yours. My favorite flavor is strawberry rhubarb. My recipie says it keeps in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Your rhubarb sauce would be delicious over vanillar ice cream or as a topping for pound cake.
Thanks for sharing another winner.
Nellie said…
Yum! This makes me hungry!
Guillaume said…
Oh, rhubarb! Yum! I used to have rhubarb jam from time to time on my toasts, and rhubarb pies as a child. For some reason I associate with autumn.
TARYTERRE said…
I'm not a fan of rhubarb. But my hubby is crazy about it.
I've never had rhubarb. This sauce is the ticket of introduction.

Thank you.
I've never had rhubarb. This sauce is the ticket of introduction.

Thank you.
Britt-Arnhild said…
I love rhubarb. OUrs are too smal yet though.
I must try this. Never thought of putting it on toast! Silly me! :)