Tofu Salad and Asian Spring Rolls

I saw some spring rolls on Celia's blog yesterday and knew I had to make them immediately.  I had some tofu I needed to use and decided to make a tofu salad to go with the rolls. Wowzers..this was a good lunch!
 Cube the tofu and bake it on cookie sheets sprayed with cooking spray.  Bake it at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

 Set them aside to cool.

 You can add all sorts of things to this salad.  I used shredded carrots, sliced green onions and cilantro.

 Make a sauce using 4 T. soy sauce, 2 T. rice vinegar, 2 T. honey, 2 T. grated fresh ginger, 1 tsp. fish sauce and 3 T. sesame oil.  Add the juice from 3 limes.  Whisk this thoroughly.

 Pour it over the tofu mix and toss several times before serving.

 This is a wonderful new tool I bought from GEFU, a German company.  You stick the vegetable in and twist and you get long spaghetti-like shreds.  I will be using this gadget a lot.

 To make the sauce for the spring rolls, mix 2 cloves of diced garlic, 1/4 C. lime juice, 2 T. soy sauce, 1 T. water, 1 T. peanut butter, 1 T. brown sugar and fresh diced cilantro.  Whisk until blended.

 Boil some vermicelli, drain and set aside to cool.  Shred some cabbage, carrots, green onions, cucumber and bell peppers of any color.  I also used some fresh romaine from my lettuce patch.  Dice some fresh cilantro. I added thinly slice roasted chicken.  You can also use shrimp or pork or tofu.

 Place a piece of rice pepper in a container of water where it can lay flat.  Let it soak for 5 seconds.

 Remove it and place it on a flat service.  Let the water soak in a bit.

 Place a piece of lettuce on the wrapper.  Add some of all the toppings.

 Fold the sides in towards the center and tightly roll it into a long log.  If you aren't eating these right away, wrap each one in several pieces of romaine.  Then wrap them tightly in plastic wrap.  This will keep them for drying out for a day or two.

 Sublime!

e
I seem to sneeze almost constantly these days.  If you look closely, you will see one of the reasons.  My huge old black locusts just bloomed and are dropping their blossoms and pollen.  It looks like it snowed.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Too long ago since I had spring rolls! Time to have it again I feel, perfect as a light lunch at work.

Have a great day!
Christer.
Anonymous said…
that is a yummy lunch!! Sorry about the itchy nose and sneezing but I think its way worth it when looking at the cause, amazingly beautiful.
I know Teddy does not like to get wet so I take it she does not go in the pool? My brother had the worse time keeping their dog out of the pool,
brokenteepee said…
I hope your allergies get better.
Pollen season is just awful
Spring rolls are so delicious and light!
Nellie said…
I can't say that I've ever tried tofu. I'll take a spring roll, though.:-)
Guillaume said…
Vegetarian and summery. A relatively rare sight on this blog;-)
Jan said…
Oh my that sounds delicious. I need that gadget for shredding veggies. How cool.
Your pool is open!

Enjoy being outside, and sneezing. Why do I say that???? Because I can not, not, not get out of A/C, while I'm getting over this cold. If I irritate my sinus, etc., any more... My head might explode. Bleahhhh...

Though grateful to have wall A/C units, I hate having to be stuck inside, with them. -sigh-

so go out there and smell spring and sneeze. but enjoy it, for me. :-)
Velva said…
What a great way to enjoy a healthy salad. This looks delicious.


Velva
TARYTERRE said…
Sublime, indeed. It is always so much fun wrapping spring rolls without poking a hole in them.
luckybunny said…
Yum. Love spring rolls and I happen to have some wrappers handy... I'll have to make those! Now I've got a craving... sorry about the sneezing, It's wicked here now too. It does indeed look like snow!
Suzanne said…
I enjoy making a ponzu sauce with rice vinegar, soy sauce, and citrus juice. We have made egg rolls but never spring rolls.....looks wonderful! Thank you
It all sounds like it would taste so good, but can you believe I have never eaten tofu or had a spring roll, so I guess I don't know what I'm missing! :)
I guess I haven't lived, have I?? :)
It all looks SO good, Joyce. I love all the ingredients in the spring rolls..so I know I would love them. There isn't much I don't love when it comes to food!

By the way, I LOVE those black umbrella's...do you get much time to swim in the summer? (I still cringe when I think of PH destroying his pool!! UNBELIEVABLE!
chickpea678 said…
That gadget is cool!

I have rice paper wrappers in my pantry so making those rolls is in my near future.