Apple Pie Oatmeal

I wanted to feed something hearty to my guys before they went out in this frigid weather to shovel snow.  So, I made them apple pie steel cut oats.
 I diced a couple Honey Crisp apples.

 I used Quaker steel cut oats.

 Place the apples in 4 cups of water, add about 1/3 cup of brown sugar and some cinnamon and a bit of nutmeg. Stir in 1 cup of steel cut oats.

 Bring them to a boil and then cover the pot and turn it down to a simmer.  Cook for about 30 minutes stirring occasionally.

 Sprinkle with a bit of cinnamon sugar before serving.  Stay warm wherever you are!


Comments

Anonymous said…
I have apples and cinnamon but no nutmeg or oats. I have however rye made in the same way. I might try this already today. Either that or an apple pie, I deserv that when it is as cold as it is.

Have a great day!
Christer.
gloriahanaway said…
Looks delish! Do you cook the oatmeal separately and use the apple pie mix as a topping?
J.E. Bolton said…
That looks sooooooo good!
TARYTERRE said…
That looks so good. You made me hungry.
Nellie said…
This sounds perfect for the winter mornings we are having!
Phoebe said…
Looks sooooo delish… Can't wait to try this!
I've never seen anything out here called Steel Cut Oats. I use a lot of oatmeal..the old fashioned kind..but ..what are steel cut oats, Joyce??
Sunnybrook Farm said…
I've never fixed steel cut oats so now I know how to do it. Can't go wrong with using apples like that.
I love oatmeal! I'll bet your kitchen smelled great and your belly felt full! :)
brokenteepee said…
I'm sure it did the job!
Mary Ann said…
Oh that looks SO GOOD! I'm trying it! I just happen to have steel cut oatmeal!
Barb said…
That looks like a really good breakfast!
luckybunny said…
I know what I'm having for breakfast in the morning!
Kay said…
Yummm! I think we'll make something like this tomorrow. Thank you for the idea.