Pompanoosuc

Pompanoosuc bread.  This is a new one for me.
I bought some pompanoosuc porridge from King Arthur flour.  It is really good.  It's a combination of stone cut oats, whole wheat bulgur and flax seed.  We have been enjoying it for breakfast with lots of fruit.

I found this recipe for bread which uses cooked pompanoosuc. 


1 cup lukewarm water

2 tablespoons softened butter

2 tablespoons honey
1 cup cooked pompanoosuc porridge mix
2 cups whole wheat flour
2 cups unbleached bread flour

2 teaspoons instant yeast

1 teaspoon salt

Knead until you have a smooth dough.  Place in a buttered bowl, cover and let it rise for 1-1/2 hours until doubled. Form it into a loaf and let it rise for another 45 minutes.  Bake it at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.  Cool on a rack.

This is really good bread.  It is excellent toasted and spread with peanut butter.

This just makes really good toast with anything on it.

It is about a gazillion degrees below zero today so I got up early and made 50 quarts of chicken chili for the shelter. Here is the recipe:  http://octoberfarm.blogspot.com/search?q=chicken+chili    They are setting up tents to shelter more guys during this extended cold spell we are having. I worry so much about all of them with this terribly cold weather.

Comments

Mary Ann said…
We hardly eat any bread here anymore, but that bread looks great, and I love King Arthur products.
The chicken chili looks good, too... and it's cold here... 13 degrees... I'll pray for all those folks that
will be eating at your shelter tonight.
Anonymous said…
I have never even heard of this pompanoosuc before. I wonder if it has a swedish name or if we simply don't have it over here. But just the name sounds delicious :-)

Not so cold here but the wind makes it cold anyway, it never seems to stop blowing.

Have a great day!
Christer.
John'aLee said…
Oh this looks divine! Thanks for telling us about this. I order from King Arthur's and love their stuff, but I've never seen this!
I hope you have a wonderful 2014 my friend!!
Nellie said…
It's good to know that extra shelter will be set up for additional space for the homeless. It is cold here, too. Chicken chili sounds absolutely perfect! I've never heard of that kind of porridge mix before.
brokenteepee said…
That shelter is lucky to have you
I have wondered about that. I know they have shelters to go to ..but you wonder what it would be like to be in a world like theirs. I once saw a show where they did an experiment..and I guess the upshot was that many liked the lifestyle. However..I know that some just need to get back on their feet. I love that you care enough to see that they get some really great food made by someone who puts love into it! You BE WONDERFUL, Joyce!! :)
What the hell kind of word is "pompanoosuc"? The bread looks yummy though.
Dog Trot Farm said…
Pompanoosuc, say that three times!!! I must have overlooked this product while at the King Arthur Store...perhaps it was hidden...Your bread looks delicious...Yes, we too are back in the deep freeze too!!
TARYTERRE said…
I have never heard of pompanoosuc before. Looks lovely. Bet it smells delightful. And tastes delicious.
Barb said…
I'm hooked on your soups. I'll have to try the chicken chili.
Kay said…
This would definitely go well with some warm soup on the cold days ahead.
Jim said…
That bread does look delicious!
And with that chili.....yum! That will warm the bones on a cold day!
luckybunny said…
oh wow, that looks really good!
luckybunny said…
oh wow, that looks really good!