Teddy and Sushi

I made sushi yesterday but before I get to that, I thought I should show you how Teddy is doing her part to help in this frigid weather.  She is doing her version of snow removal, a few square feet at a time.

When she is not helping outside, she is doing cleanup in the kitchen.

But mama, I am bored.

Back to the sushi....I think my family could eat sushi almost every day.  I hadn't made it in years because I really find rolling it with the bamboo mats to be a pain in the butt. A while ago my blogging friend in NZ showed a sushi maker on her blog that was very interesting.  I am not a gadget person but if I find a good one, I love to share.  I bought some ahi tuna but I also wanted to make a variety so I made some crab cakes to use in my sushi making. Thanks Leanne and Abby! ( http://cottagetails.blogspot.com/ )

If you want a good crab cake recipe, you can find it here: http://octoberfarm.blogspot.com/search?q=crab+cakes

After cooking, I let them cool off and then cut them in strips.

This is the sushi maker and it is the coolest gadget I have come across in a very long time.  It is called the Sushezi and you can buy it on Amazon.You make the sushi rice and add 1/2 C. to each side of the cylinder. Then using the bar, you press down on the rice to make the groove for the filling.
I prepared carrots, daikon, cucumber and some oshinko.  I use a skewer that I plunge into wasabi paste to get an even layer of wasabi down the center of the rice. Then layer your other fillings, I used the crab cakes in some and the ahi tuna and some surimi in the others. Unfortunately, I forgot to get some photos of the next few steps but if you buy the gadget, it shows you how to proceed.  Basically though, once the sushi is prepped the way you want it, you close the tube, latch the latches and twist the plunger which compacts the sushi roll.  Then you lay down a piece of nori, remove the cap from the sushi tube and just push the rice roll right out the end....perfect.

Roll it iup in the nori and set aside for a few minutes.

Once all the rolls are made, slice them into pieces. Perfect sushi rolls.  I made an ahi tuna salad to go with it too.  I see a lot more sushi eating in our future.

Comments

Nellie said…
Teddy is always ready to assist!:-) We don't seem to be sushi fans here. The crab cakes? That's a different matter.:-)
Anonymous said…
yum! I have never eaten sushi ( I live under a big rock and get out rarely), but I'm sure I would love it, who invented this tool, The Japanese?
Leanne said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leanne said…
YUM! Glad you love the sushi maker too. Your tuna salad looks yum to go with it. We have just about every sushi cookbook out of the library at the moment.
Anonymous said…
I'll eat almost anything but I can't stand the raw fish :-) So take away that and everything here looks yummy and I love crab cakes :-)

Have a great day!
Christer.
brokenteepee said…
There's a gadget for everything!
Bird said…
You're such a good girl, Teddy. :D Always being ever so helpful. You know, the sushi looks beautiful and yet... yet... I can never bring myself to try it unless it's vegetarian. Fish and I don't get along... but it does look so pretty and appetizing I keep thinking, oh, just try it once.
Guillaume said…
Ah, the snow! And those sushis look so nice.
TARYTERRE said…
That is a cool gadget for sure. BUT I love those crab cakes.
Camille said…
That extended left foot always tickles me to pieces. Good girl Teddy.

Love sushi...but it still looks easier to just go out to a restaurant and have someone else do it for me. :-) Lazy woman I am.
Dog Trot Farm said…
Ah, Sweet Teddy...sushi is very appealing to the eye, unfortunately for me, I do not care for it...Baby it's cold outside...no snow in our near future...crisp, clear and cold...
Looks like Teddy's version of a snow angel! LOL! Your sushi looks delicious! Love the gadget!
Joy said…
Yum! We've found a decent sushi restaurant here so I think I'll stick to eating that out, and spend my time making everything bagels at home - my latest obsession! ;-)
Anonymous said…
Teddy is such a sweetheart !! Our miss Charlie loves to help in the kitchen too ; )
What a great idea, that sushi maker. It looks wonderful. I love sushi too. Have a wonderful day.
Krista said…
Teddy is so sweet and what a great helper! :)
Sushi is my fave, what a fun gadget!
Anonymous said…
I'm ready for spring. Are you ready for spring?? I'm soooo ready for spring. Just been way too cold.
Sweet! Does it work the same if you just want to roll the sushi log in sesame seeds instead of using seaweed?
NanaDiana said…
I can't eat seafood so I guess I will never taste sushi. Looks good though- xo Diana
luckybunny said…
A floor cleaner is always very useful! The sushi maker does look very handy and those cakes look so good. That cold wind a few days ago, was wicked here, Sun, Mon, Tues.. today it was calm thankfully. I don't mind cold one bit but the wind is too much for me and the animals who all had to stay inside.
Kay said…
Good gosh! You're a sushi expert too! I haven't made them since we moved back to Hawaii because my aunt often makes it for us. She's much better than we are at making them. I've never seen a sushi maker before. Wow! I LOVE crab cakes.
Velva said…
Glad Teddy is doing his part (laugh). The sushi looks wonderful. A few years back at Cooking Club one of the themes was sushi making and it was quite fun.

Velva