Trough Gardening in My Driveway

Why do I have a garden in my driveway?  Because most of my 2 acres is too shady to grow things that need sun.  When I created my big garden down below, it did very well for the first few years.  I was giving veggies away because I had more than I could use.  But, as trees grew, they shaded the garden.  I hate removing trees unless I absolutely have to.  So, I figured if i can grow my sun vegetables elsewhere, I can raise vegetables that grow in semi shade in the lower garden.  If I have learned anything about gardening through the years, it's that you have to be flexible.
 In the past, my herbs have bolted far too early.  This year I bought slow bolt seeds and am growing most of them in a shadier part of the driveway. Some of my radishes are growing here too.

 They seem to be quite happy in this spot.

 These are French breakfast radishes, one of my most favorites.

 My bay trees wintered overed in my garden room and are showing lots of new growth.  How I love having my own fresh bay leaves!

 These are bush zucchini and cucumbers.  The front pot to the left has jalapenos in it.

 The biggest trough holds most of my tomatoes and they are under planted with basil and marigolds.  When you are doing container gardening, it is important to utilize your space well.

 I planted columnar cherries and apples in galvanized buckets.  If these do well, I will be adding pears and peaches next year.

 This trough holds some Ichiban eggplants and okra as well as cherry tomatoes.

 I planted basil and marigolds in it too.  Marigolds do a  good job at keeping bugs away.

 This is a spindly cherry which just arrived.  I don't think it will do much this year except sprout a few leaves. I planted basil at it's base too.

I planted quite a few pots of carrots.
So far so good but there is a long summer ahead of us. I will be very careful to keep everything evenly watered.

 I just planted my urns as well.  I always plant sweet potatoes because you can tell by looking at them how dry everything else is.  They are the first things to wilt when you have dry conditions.

 Slowly but surely the groaning board which is the potting table is lightening up.

 My lettuce loves it's new location in indirect sun.  Arugula is planted in the lower bin.

 The pool is open but not yet running.  We don't use chemicals in our pool.  We have a copper filtration system.  The pool needs to sit for a few days before we turn it on.  I have so many blossoms falling from my Black Locusts that it is a good idea to wait for a week.

Comments

Nellie said…
You've been very busy with all the planting! I have already had to pinch out the tops of our basil!
brokenteepee said…
You have been a busy gardener. The hubby has been going great guns in his garden as well
Anonymous said…
Its amazing how you utilize every inch!!! I never knew of this method of pool maintenance, thats interesting, I doubt I will ever have a pool but its very good to know!
Megs said…
I always love your garden tours. I have the same problem with shade- thinking of doing the trough planting. Also, great tip in the sweet potato vines bring a dryness barometer - I'll have to get one going somewhere.
Jim said…
I really like those galvanized troughs, they look great.
You know, this is exactly what we have had to do here. Who would have thought that all the trees/shrubs were going to grow and shade in the veggies!? Not I!
So we have moved our pots all over the garden to 'catch' the sun throughout the summer.
Yours look really nice all together like that.
When you all through, you will need a relaxing float in your pool!
Anonymous said…
Marigolds also keep the soil free from pests in the soil so they are perfect plants really. Roses love them.

Unfortunately they attract the spanish forest slug we have over here so people with those in the area get problems instead. So far we don't have those slugs, knock on wood!

Those troughs look great! I wonder if I can find something similar here, it's no use in growing carrots in my garden because the sand just jas too much gravel and stones in it so the carrots never grow especially well there.

Have a greatd day!
Christer.
Guillaume said…
Every time I read your gardening blogs it makes me want to have a garden. Although I know zilch about gardening.
luckybunny said…
Haha! WOW! That's quite the spread! :) I'm just, JUST starting here. Gets me excited seeing all that green! :)
TARYTERRE said…
Wow you have planted a little bit of everything. I hope they all thrive. Now I know why my mother loved marigolds. INSECT CONTROL. Who knew?
Bee Haven Bev said…
Everything looks splendid!!! You have really worked hard.
Mary Ann said…
Oh, Joyce... you have given me SUCH inspiration, because you know I am gardening above ground this year. Thank you!
Your tub gardens are looking wonderful! You are going to have all sorts of veggies soon..and the pool..well, HOW I would have loved to have had a pool these past few days! Did I ever tell you that PH took a jack hammer and broke theirs up when the children grew up? I still find that hard to believe.
He says they just didn't want to take care of it anymore..

crazymimi said…
Do you have good luck with the cucumbers?
Kay said…
I am in awe of your gardening. You can almost just move your plants to follow the sun too. :-) You have two acres? Wow! That is fabulous!
Alicia said…
Oh, what a tub gardening! Looks so stunning. Inspiring too for the garden fans and addicts. Moreover, your driveway has got an outstanding natural green shape that might be able to stop anyone to enjoy the beauties. I appreciate your lovely project. Anyway, are your readers living in Clearwater, Florida and looking for constructing or repairing your driveway? Well, here concrete driveway clearwater fl company is ready to make your dream in reality. Clearwater Concrete Contractors is a trusted, local concrete company in Clearwater, FL that offers to construct your concrete counters, driveways & walkways, floors, leveling, patios, pool decks, repair, slabs, stamped, stained concrete work.