Making Marshmallows

I made marshmallows for all of my little friends yesterday.  I will be sending them with homemade cocoa mix.  I like making marshmallows because they taste about a million times better than store bought, they are fun to make and you can make them without using high fructose corn syrup.  Prepare to be covered in confectioners sugar too!
Empty 4 packets of gelatine into the bowl of your mixer.

Pour in 3/4 of a cup of water. Let that sit.

You can use light Karo syrup if the whole corn syrup thing doesn't bother you but I use Lyle's Golden Syrup instead.

Put 3 cups of white sugar in a heavy pot.  Add 1/4 tsp. of salt and 1-1/4 cups of syrup.

Add 3/4 cup of water.

Stir it all to blend and turn the burner to medium high.

Bring it to a boil, do not stir and using a candy thermometer, bring it to 238 degrees.

Gradually pour the syrup mix into the gelatine.  Start your mixer on low and gradually turn it to high speed. Add 1/2 tablespoon of vanilla extract.

Mix until it turns white and becomes thick.  This will take about 8 minutes.

Pour it into an oblong pan which has been lined with parchment paper and sprayed with cooking spray.  Spray both the pan and the paper.  Smooth the top.  Let this sit for at least 3 hours.

Turn the marshmallow out onto waxed paper covered with confectioners sugar as seen in the first photo.  Cut it into squares and roll to coat all sides with confectioners sugar so they don't stick together.  Store the marshmallows in an airtight container.  Or send bags of them off to the little guys to make them very happy.

Comments

Yumo looks delicious! Bet no one turns away these delicious marshmallows
Valerie said…
Oh I'm going to have to try these! Perfect for gifts!
Mary said…
I cannot praise homemade marshmallows enough, you have got to try them! So much better than those things in a bag.
Diane said…
Wow those sound amazing, not sure I have ever seen golden syrup in the shops here though! Have a good day Diane
LEfting said…
These look amazing! A question, though, how long do they last when stored?
Thanks!!
Leanne said…
something our family can eat for a treat. I might just make some.

I bet your young friends enjoy their packs.
Anonymous said…
I've never done marshmallows myself but a friend does sometimes and they are delicious :-) Those and a cup of cocoa and life is good :-)

Have a great day!
Christer.
Guillaume said…
I love being educated about marshmallows.
Trace4J said…
Yummy
Wow I must try.
Thank you for sharing.
My hubby will really love me now :)
Woolie HUGS
Kimberly said…
I always wanted to make them. They are on my list this year :) Thank you for sharing! My Best, Kimberly
Barb said…
Thanks for the great idea. I have two sweet little neighbors. I think I'll make a bag for them.
Nellie said…
I've never thought of trying marshmallows! They sound delicious!
Well...I never!! How about that!!
Marshmellows! :)
chickpea678 said…
Now I know your secret! :-)