Kaak: Beirut Street Bread

If you have ever traveled to Beirut, you will recognize this bread which is sold on the streets all over the city. Kaak is as popular in Lebanon as bagels are in New York.
 Ingredients
1 1/2 cups warm milk
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups bread flour
1-2 tablespoons more flour for flouring and rolling
1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 envelope rapid rise yeast

For topping
1 large egg
1/2 cup sesame seeds and nigella seeds

Mix the dry ingredients into the wet and knead until you have a smooth ball.

Divide the dough into 8 pieces.  Roll each piece out into an 8 inch disk.  Using a 2 inch biscuit cutter, cut a hole near one of the edges of the disk. The holes are made because the kaaks are hung on a pole to sell.

Place them on a parchment covered cookie sheet. Whisk the egg with 1 tablespoon of water and brush the kaaks.

Sprinkle each with sesame seeds, nigella seeds or both.
Cover with plastic wrap and let these rise for about 1 hour.

Bake them in a 450 degree oven for about 20 minutes or until they turn golden.


Serve them hot right out of the oven.

Comments

Anonymous said…
the hole,,, is that to thread them on a stick, I did see them with bread thread on a stick when I googled them but could not find the name of the bread after that, I love the toppings on this bread!
Anonymous said…
I've nere baked these myself but I have eaten them in a Lebanese restaurant in my old home town, from what I remember I liked it a lot!

Bagels however is rare over here, if we want some we need to do them ourselves and I think I need to do that because I have absolutely no idea how they taste :-)

Have a great day!
Christer.
Craig said…
I've never even heard of these but they look fabulous and sound delicious!
Guillaume said…
Yum. They look like bagels.
TARYTERRE said…
Never heard of Kaak before. It looks good for sure. Love the seeds too.
Kay said…
This is so cool! I've seen seen anything like this or heard about it.
chickpea678 said…
You are truly a break making phenomenon!
Hi Joyce...looks like something one could become addicted to very quickly!