Arepas: Venezuelan Flatbread

Think of these as the best grilled cheese sandwich you will ever eat.  You will need to buy a bag of masarepa which you see above.  My local grocery store carries it.  Mix 2 cups of the masarepa with 2 cups of warm water, 1 tsp. of sea salt and 1 tsp. of oil.  This makes a very nice dough.
Cut it into 6 pieces and press each piece between 2 pieces of plastic wrap until you have a 5 inch disk.

Cook these in some melted butter in a heavy skillet for 7 minutes on each side until golden.  Cut the arepa in half and layer on some mozzarella or monterey jack cheese.


Place it back in the pan until the cheese melts.  These are a popular street food in many places in South America.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Don't think we have anything like that masarepa. Looks nice though.

have a great day!
Christer.
Anonymous said…
I know I would never find that ingredient here but they look lovely, I made flat bread the other week, froze it and have been pulling one out of the freezer almost everyday, melting cheese on it, I could live on it, heck,,, I suppose I almost do!
It keeps the place cool as well , not using the oven to cook it,
Susan said…
Is the marsarepa similar to the fine corn flour that is used in making corn tortillas? I love anything with cheese, so will bookmark this recipe for when the temps drop below 90.
TARYTERRE said…
Masarepa looks yummy. There is something visceral about holding food in your hands to eat it.
Guillaume said…
You are in a very South American and Latino mood these days.