West Virginia Pepperoni Rolls

I was making these last summer but I wasn't thrilled with the dough I was using.  I finally found the right combination and it is the only one I will make going forward.   West Virginia pepperoni rolls should be a combination of a slightly sweet dough to combine with the salty, spiciness of the pepperoni.  This does it perfectly.
Excuse the light.  This is what happens in my kitchen on a sunny morning this time of the year.

Here is the recipe for the dough:
3 tsp rapid rise yeast
2-½ cup of water
½ cup sugar
1 cup mashed potatoes
½ cup of shortening
1 teaspoon of salt
1 egg
7 to 8 cups of flour
1 ½ sticks of pepperoni, cut into matchsticks (about 1 pound total)

For the glaze:
1 tablespoon butter
2 teaspoons sugar
1 egg

Make the dough and place it in a covered buttered bowl and let it rise until doubled.

I also made my own version of the Oliviero pepper sauce which is served with these rolls.  I sauteed 2 onions in a bit of olive oil and added 4 sliced green peppers.  You can use any combination of peppers you like.  This s a great recipe to use lots of peppers from your garden.  When the peppers still had a bit of a crunch I added 8 cups of the canned tomato sauce I put up last summer. I added garlic and onion powder, salt and pepper and some dried oregano and basil.  Then I added 1 can of tomato paste and 2 tablespoons of sugar.  I let this simmer until it thickened.

You divide the dough into 24 balls and roll each one into a square.  I cut the pepperoni into 3 inch long logs.  Lay a piece of pepperoni at the edge of the dough and roll it once. Add another piece and roll it again. Then add a third piece and roll and seal the dough. Place these on a cookie sheet and let them rise until doubled.

Brush them with the glaze and bake them in a 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes or until they turn golden.

Serve them with a side of the pepper sauce. My husband got to sample one and he was very happy to do so!

I made 50 of these for the after school kids yesterday and 18 kids polished off every bit of these along with all of the pepper sauce.  I might have to make these for us over the holidays because they are so good and we never get any. I always give them all away.

Comments

I like a nice piece of pepperoni myself every now and again.
Fiona said…
Your recipes are the best! I look forward to trying this one!
jerilanders said…
Today is nothing but rain and drizzle and this looks just the thing for warming the tummy and the soul. Looks so good I can almost smell it, I love Pepperoni. Unfortunately, I hate to cook. But if you were my neighbor I would constantly be knocking at your door to borrow a cuppa sugar, and I know you'd invite me in for a taste of whatever culinary dish you had in the oven.
Anonymous said…
These look so good!

I haven't baked especially much this autumn/ winter because I haven't lit the fire stove especially much since it has been so warm. I better use that stove anyway I think :-)

Have a great day!

Christer.
Marsha said…
Looks luscious - and as for the light, who can complain about a rainbow on rising dough? Enjoy your sunny kitchen!
Guillaume said…
Looks delicious! I need some tasty meals like this for lunch.
Actually, the winter light is gorgeous.