Black Beans and Rice

I had an excellent meal of black beans and rice recently and realized it had been too long since I made this dish.  I had a friend that lived in Costa Rica and we spent a lot of time there and I fell in love with beans and rice.
 A couple days ago, I soaked 2 pounds of black beans in water overnight. The next morning I added some smoked turkey to the pot along with pepper, oregano and 3 bay leaves.

 Then I added a diced red pepper, 1 diced green pepper, 1 diced onion, 1 tablespoon cumin and 3 cloves of minced garlic. Bring this to a boil then cover and turn to simmer and cook for about 2 hours until the beans are tender.

Remove the smoked turkey and discard  them, taste for seasoning and add some salt if needed.  You can mash 1-2 cups of the beans and add them back in to thicken the mixture.

For the rice, I started it by adding some annatto seeds to a couple tablespoons of oil. Cook them until the oil turns red and then strain them out and throw the seeds away.

Pour the oil in a heavy pot and add about 4 minced garlic cloves.  If you don't like garlic you can make it using just onions.

Add 1 diced onion and a few tablespoons of minced celery.

I like this seasoning which can be found in the Latin section of the grocery store.

Sprinkle 1 tablespoon over the vegetables and season with salt and pepper. Let this simmer for a few minutes.

Stir the beans and let them simmer over very low heat.
A pot of black magic.
Rinse 2 cups of rice and add it to the pot.

I also added 2 packs of this Sazon seasoning.

Add 4 cups of chicken stock.

Stir it around and bring to a low boil.

Then cover it and simmer it for 15 minutes. Remove the lid and fluff the rice.

Ladle some of the beans into a bowl.

Place a mound of rice in the center and sprinkle some green onion and cilantro over the top. Serve it with a wedge of lime.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I've never heard of these seasonings or the seeds but the color is amazing,, I really like beans and rice,,
Anonymous said…
I love beans in all ways but myb stomach usually protest rather badly if I eat them :-) it does look yummy!

Have a great day!

Christer.
Laura said…
oh my goodness that looks delicious! Now I'm hungry! :-)
blessings
~*~

ps..hugs to Teddy!
Nellie said…
Yum! How delicious!
chickpea678 said…
First I was going to ask where do you find smoked turkey (in the deli case?) but then I saw the annato seeds--where do you get those? I like the way you serve the rice over the beans--looks prettier that way!
Guillaume said…
So original, the rice in the middle and the black beans around it! It's my kind of meal.
Fiona said…
Gosh that looks so good! Thank you fir the instructions as we have a good supply of black beans and I have been thinking a bean dish will be good this week when it gets colder.
PAK said…
Why do you throw the turkey out?