Polish Golumpki for New Years Day

I promised Polish food for New Years Day dinner this year and one of the dishes I made was golumpki with mashed potatoes.
 I love making these.  I find the whole process very meditative. Mix 1 pound of ground beef or pork with 1 cup of cooked rice, 8 pieces of crumbled bacon, 1 grated white onion, 3 cloves of minced garlic, 2 eggs and salt and pepper to taste.  I also add Pensey's Krakow Nights seasoning.

 I bought sour heads when I was in Cleveland and used them for this recipe.  They actually weren't sour, they were brined which surprised me.

 They were wonderful to work with though.  The leaves just fell off the heads.

 To make up for the lack of sourness, I placed a layer of sauerkraut on the bottom of each pot and then covered it with a layer of sauce.

 I used 4 heads of cabbage to make these. ( I made a larger meat mixture).

 The rolls are placed on top of the sauerkraut.

 Place a scoop of the meat mixture on a cabbage leaf.

 Cup the bottom and turn in the sides.

 Roll it into a neat little envelope.

 My sauce is a mix of tomato sauce, cider vinegar, brown sugar and sauteed onions.  I add ingredients until I get the flavor I want.

 They bake at 325 degrees for about 2 hours.

 These freeze very well too.

 They never get frozen here though, they just get eaten.  Always on mashed potatoes!

Comments

Guillaume said…
I am hungry just reading this and watching the pictures. It is pouring outside, it is cool, it would be perfect for such meal.
Anonymous said…
yum!
I remember seeing that seasoning you mentioned at the home I worked at out on the lake, they must have brought it with them because I've never seen it in Canada, it was really good!
Anonymous said…
I've never heard of brined cabbage before, it is sort of hard imagininge how it would taste. Now I want stuffed cabbage :-)

Have a great day!

Christer.
Soul food of the best kind!
greekwitch said…
We have a similar dish called lachanodolmades with the traditional egg and lemon sauce. I love this dish, but it is a lot of work!!! The Polish version seems fantastic!!! I will try and make it!
Raine said…
You can order it at www.penzeys.com.
We love these too! Happy 2016! We had a family wedding on NYE!
For some reason I've never made stuffed cabbage and I don't know why. And of course certainly nothing like the delicious creation you've made!
Mercy, Joyce, is there anything you can't make? (No need to answer that..I pretty much already know the answer! :)
chickpea678 said…
Yum that looks good! I just ordered some Kraków Nights spice. I don't know that I can get sour heads around here though....
babs said…
I have been atempting to perfect my golumpki. Your recipe looks fabulous....I am going to try them. Getting the correct balance of flavors can be difficult for me. Also, I never heard of the polish strips deep fried deliciousness. Sorry I read it before I stopped here to comment and cant get back right now for the correct name. Trying desperately to keep up on our polih heritgefor my siblings. Gin, I find your cooking abilities and generosity amazing.