Hot Dog Buns

 This is a new recipe I tried this weekend and these are some of the best hot dog buns I've ever made.  It makes 8 light, fluffy, flavorful hot dog buns.

And they were perfect for making Texas hots for lunch for my kids.                                                                                               

The recipe:

Ingredients
  • 3 C. all purpose flour
  • 3/4 to 1 C.  water
  • 2 T. softened butter
  • 1/4 C. sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2-1/4 tsp yeast
Instructions
  1. Add the sugar and yeast to the water and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Allow this to rest for 10 minutes.
  2. In a separate bowl, beat 1 egg and 1 additional egg yolk. Place the white of the second egg in a bowl, add 4 tablespoons of water and whisk this together. Put this aside until later.
  3. In another bowl, melt the butter in your microwave.
  4. Place the flour in your mixing bowl, add the egg and egg yolk, salt, melted butter and the yeast mixture.
  5. Using the bread hook, mix this until the dough comes together and it all comes away from the side of the bowl.
  6.  Knead it until it is very smooth and elastic. Sprinkle lightly with a little extra flour every time the dough becomes too sticky to handle.
  7. Return the dough to the mixing bowl, cover the bowl with plastic and allow the dough to rise for 60 minutes in a warm place.
  8. Once risen, turn the dough out and divide the dough into 8 equal pieces.
  9. Lightly flour your work surface and press each piece out 3 inch by 5 inch rectangles.
  10. Fold the long side of the rectangle over the center, then the other log side over this. Turn the roll over and transfer it to a parchment covered baking sheet. Repeat this until all of the rolls are formed.
  11. Place the rolls on the sheet with about half an inch between them.
  12. Cover loosely with a damp tea towel and allow the rolls to rise again for 60 minutes.
  13. Heat your oven to 375. Brush the rolls with the egg white mixture, bake the rolls for 15 minutes until golden brown.
  14. Remove the rolls from the oven and transfer them to a wire rack to cool.

 I like to use a good sheep casing hot dog when making these.

 My kids love Texas hots especially when they are served with macaroni salad.  Summer is on the way!

Comments

Bee Haven Bev said…
Yummy....I will have to try this recipe this summer. (or maybe I will just move into your guest house!!)
Anonymous said…
looks like summer to me!
All you need to add is a baseball game!
Anonymous said…
I'm just about to grill a few sausages myself now but I have bought my buns, they are made from sourdough and quite good. I've never baked hotdog buns so perhaps I should try it!

Have a great day!

Christer.
Guillaume said…
You make me hungry for hot dogs.
TARYTERRE said…
never had a texas dog. they look great. i want a bite.
Mary Ann said…
Wait, I thought you were finished cooking for the kids until fall?
Some day when you post this recipe for hot dog buns...I am going to just jump in and try it. Those bun look so good and the recipe sounds so darned easy. One has to be really passionate about cooking like you are to make such delicious meals. I'm like that about my piano..can't walk past the thing without banging out a tune or two. :) Wish I could play like you cook, Joyce!! :)