Meat and Cheese Platter

It seems that I am always making someone a meat and cheese platter.  In fact, I am making three today.  I thought I had these down pat until I ordered one recently in a local restaurant and was blown away. I had to duplicate it immediately.  The Blog Tech and his fiance were having a guest over so it was perfect timing for me to test it out.
I made a fresh tomato pasta to accompany it and baked some French bread.


 I made some tasty Italian meatballs to put on the platter.  An unexpected addition to a meat and cheese platter but one that went over very well.

And I made some whole grain mustard. It's simple to make and delicious. This is what made the cheese platter at the restaurant so special, all the condiments were homemade.
I pickled some carrots.  These are raw, local, organic carrots which are sliced in half and placed in a jar.  A simple pickling brine is poured over them and they are refrigerated for 24 hours.  They are crisp and briny and oh so good.  Perfect for a platter like this.

I made Amish mustard eggs too.
And this...OMG is this good.  It's raspberry and jalapeno compote.  It might sound strange, it did to me.  However, this is so good you could eat it with a spoon.  It's just 2 cups of raspberries cooked with 1 jalapeno (remove the seeds and veins if you don't want it spicy) and 3/4 cup of sugar.  Bring it to a low boil, turn it to a simmer and cook breaking up the berries.  Add 1 tablespoon of butter and a pinch of salt and refrigerated it until it thickens.


 The finished platter had shaved rosemary ham, pate', salami, Spanish chorizo, meatballs and Double Gloucester, Havarti and Graskaas cheeses. Along with all of the homemade condiments, it made a perfect platter.




 I made them dessert too.  Walnut brownies with ganache frosting.

 Dense, chewy and nutty.

 And I surrounded them with my chocolate chip cookies. 

Comments

Anonymous said…
you are so good to your kids, what a beautiful platter,, you put so much work and detail in it,, its really a talent you have to replicate foods you have when out and about ( said with my Canadian accent , lol ),,,
I can't wait for that brownie recipe,,
Anonymous said…
They had a lucky guest :-)
It looks delicious and meatballs fit in perfect! I must check what difference there is in Swedish and Italian meatballs :-)

Have a great day!

Christer.
Susan said…
Any chance of the Amish mustard eggs recipe? I think that must have been the BEST cheese and meat board ever created.
Leanne said…
oh my that looks soo yum. Here in NZ markets are purple carrots, they would look so pretty in your pickled carrots... I just might make some
Man, that is one visually beautiful platter, not to mention delicious as well, I'm sure.
Guillaume said…
I love a good cheese and meat platter. And raspberries with jalapenos? How original!
TARYTERRE said…
That meat platter is exquisite. But you got me interested in the raspberries with jalapenos compote. Sounds the perfect thing to wake up my taste buds.
greekwitch said…
Oh my goodness. This made my mouth water. You are a genius...
Mary Ann said…
Okay, that is a fantastic platter... and I am going to try the raspberry compote!
Fit for a king!! Just amazing, Joyce, just amazing! I have never known anyone in my long life with such a talent as yours. With you, food is truly an art form.
Ian's Girl said…
I'd have put some of that compote on my brownies. I love raspberry and chocolate and I love heat in my chocolate,too; I bet it would have been amazing and I may have to try doing it!
Julie Ferguson said…
It all looks so delicious!
Nancy In Boise said…
Great job! I have done that kind of thing in the winter holidays, a slightly nordic smorgasbord, meats, cheeses, homemade pickles, etc.
chickpea678 said…
Good grief Joyce! Are you SURE you don't have twenty oompa loompas hiding in that house and helping you make all that deliciousness and beauty?!