Orange Buttermilk Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

All I can say about this cake is WOW!  And I hate cake so that is saying something.
 This is very simple to make if you are not much of a cake maker and I think this is one of the best cakes I've ever tasted.

It only uses one 9" pan.






Ingredients
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1½ teaspoon baking powder
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • zest of one orange
  • ¼ cup butter, melted and cooled to room temperature
  • orange marmalade for spreading

  • For the frosting
  • 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
  • 4 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
  • 2 tablespoons orange marmalade
  • 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ½ teaspoon orange extract
  • 2 cups powdered sugar
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 F.
  2. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Set aside.
  3. In a large bowl, add the sugar and eggs and whisk until combined. Add the orange zest, vanilla extract and buttermilk and whisk until combined. Add the cooled melted butter and whisk to combine. Add the flour and carefully whisk until just combined, being careful not to over-whisk.
  4. Prepare a 9x2 inch round baking pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper and butter the top of the lining and the sides of the pan.
  5. Pour the batter into the pan, smooth the top with a rubber spatula, and bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
  6. Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 30 minutes before inverting it onto a wire rack and allowing it to cool completely.
  7. To make the frosting: Combine the first 6 ingredients and beat with a mixer until combined and smooth. Add the powdered sugar and beat until combined and smooth.
  8. Cut the cake in half. Spread some orange marmalade on the bottom half. Spread some of the cream cheese frosting on top of the marmalade. Invert the top half of the cake and place it on top of the bottom layer. Frost the cake with the remaining cream cheese frosting.
 Cooling.

Cut the cake in half.
 Slightly heat the marmalade in a microwave to make it easier to spread.

 Coat one side of a slice.

 Add additional orange juice or confectioners sugar to get the right consistency.

 Spread the first layer with frosting out to the edges.

 Place the second layer top side up on top of the first.

 Generously spread with frosting over the top...

 and around the sides.


 I'm sure it can be done much neater than I did this.

 And I'm sure even Teddy could have cut this a bit more equally.  I swear it didn't look this disproportionate when I cut it.

 And these are horrible photos but there you go.

I keep this in the refrigerator.  Not only is this delicious, it is moist and dense as well.

Comments

Anonymous said…
It sure looks delicious!
We rarely use frosting over here but I have no idea why :-) I think this is a must try.

Have a great day!

Christer.
Leanna said…
How dare you post this! You know I gain weight every time you post a recipe and show pictures like this. Shame. Shame on you. Oh my, I bet it was so dayum good. ~sigh~
Rain said…
Oooh yum! I LOVE cream cheese icing...add orange and it sounds perfect! Blessed Lammas to you Joyce! :)))
Guillaume said…
Oh that's something like this we need for dessert here!
TARYTERRE said…
you're singing to my heart. every year of my life growing up i had orange cake for my birthday. yours sounds perfectly scrumptious.
Sharon Day said…
Oh, this looks super yum!
Carol said…
Do you by any chance weigh 300 pounds? I love orange in cakes. In fact a Lady Baltimore cake I made had orange flavoring. My husband hated it. I used to make a quick bread using yogurt to change the flavor and orange was my favorite. I dont even know if they still sell orange yogurt.
jaz@octoberfarm said…
hahaha...no i don't! actually, i don't eat sweets and i have never liked cake at all. my husband sure eats it though and he is skinny!