Killed Lettuce

I promised you a recipe for the Appalachian killed lettuce salad I've been making.  It is called killed lettuce because when you pour the hot dressing on the lettuce, it dies (shrivels).  I remember eating this a lot when I was a little kid.  It was one of my father's favorites and probably served to him as a child because it is also a Polish recipe.

It's perfect when you have an abundance of lettuce.

Recipe:


  • 1 head iceberg or romaine lettuce, washed, dried and torn coarsely into pieces
  • 1/2 pound bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 1 large finely sliced red onion
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons sugar or to taste
  • Salt and pepper to taste



Steps to Make It

Place lettuce in a bowl.
In a large skillet, fry bacon until crisp. 
Cut bacon into 1/2 inch pieces and place on top of the lettuce.
Place sliced onion on it too.
1.  Drain all but 4 tablespoons bacon grease from the skillet. 
  1. Add water, vinegar, and sugar, and bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
  2. Pour hot vinaigrette over lettuce, add salt and pepper to taste and toss. Serve immediately.






I serve it with a slice of the sweet bread I've been making.  It is a meal in itself.


 I bought this mini Radio Flyer to use as a planter.  I'll post it when it's finished.


Meanwhile, when I can steal a minute away from Willie, I keep fine tuning my potting table.  I spoke to the vet this morning and Willie is doing so well that they will see him a few days early.  One week from today...yeeha!  Can I make it?

Comments

Marcia said…
My mother used to make that hot dressing. You brought back memories. She may have used it on fresh dandelion greens.
Christer. said…
I've never had killed lettuce but it does look yummy.

I do like that little red carriage and I have a similar in my garage but I think it says Rapid something on the side, must check that later today :-)

Have a great day!

Christer.
Hang in there, Joyce! You are a dedicated puppy parent.
Anonymous said…
We make a similar dish but call it wilted salad. We use endive. I also remember my family using the dandelion greens. It was a welcome dish after the cold barren winters. Got all those vitamins from your greens.
Love your pups, they look so fluffy and squeezable. lol Tammy
Guillaume said…
I used to have a Radio Flyer like this as a kid. Or at least I remember having something very similar. I never thought it could be used as a tool.
Carole said…
How unusual. Cheers from Carole's chatter
chickpea678 said…
Yum! Killed lettuce sounds delicious!!!
TARYTERRE said…
the killed lettuce looks yummy indeed.