A Fall Festival in a Holler

Who wouldn't want to head down this country road?
 We drove into the hills and hollers of Appalachia to go to a Folk Festival on Friday morning.


 It was such a gorgeous Fall day with crisp air and beautiful blue skies.


 The festival was hopping when we arrived.

 After a Summer of hard work, handmade crafts were on display.


 Many were Amish made.

 Beautiful pottery.



 Dulcimers to play and for sale.


 A basketmaker at work.


 This man was crafting wooden flowers.


 A woodworker making Shaker boxes.


 His wares.


 The line was long for slices of freshly baked Amish bread with warm apple butter slathered on it.


 A whole hell of a lot of homemade sauerkraut.


 And, of course, pumpkins and gourds and Indian corn for sale.



 A whole booth dedicated to apples.  Caramel and taffy apples looked so good.


 It was so cute.

 Hot or cold apple cider for sale.

 A tractor show.

 And I ran into Jordan, who I recently hired to build me a Hobbit House.  It was so nice to see him there.  I will update you on the progress as it develops.  He and I are going to have so much fun creating it.

 I bought some wonderful wildflower honey.

 I alway enjoy seeing what they make with the wax.


 There was so much food to choose from.  The booth on the left sells one of our favorite treats.....Thanksgiving in a cup.  They place a dollop of mashed potatoes in the bottom of a large cup then top it with stuffing, roasted turkey, gravy and cranberry sauce.  A few years ago I made these for The Blog Tech's kids and they loved them.



 I really need one of these signs.


 I thought this bench was so sweet and so very Appalachia.

 The festival was in a beautiful setting right at the bottom of a holler.  Our ears were popping as we drove up and down throughout the hills and hollers.

 We took in the awesome sights on our drive home.  We saw an Amish man heading out to work in the fields.

 Here are some more photos of our drive.  Enlarge them and enjoy!












 I feel so lucky to live so close to such beauty.



Comments

Looks like so much fun! And what a beautiful day you had. A HOBBIT HOUSE?!?! Now that's exciting!
Leanna said…
Oh, to live up north in such beautiful countryside. It looks like you had so much fun.
Christer. said…
Lots of nice things to see today :-) Perhaps it's a good thing for my economy that I live on the other side of the ocean :-) :-) :-)

Have a great day!

Christer.
bobbie said…
Looks like a fun day! And what is this about a Hobbit House?!?! can't wait to see it!
Rain said…
You had such a wonderful day for the festival! The photos are brilliant. I LOVE those crafts, especially the pottery! There used to be a festival here called 1000 Pots. It was all handcrafted with pottery making displays and lessons...the last one was pitiful, it had MAYBE 3 potters and they're not having it anymore. Such a sad thing.
Kay said…
Oh my! This looks like so much fun! We don't have a lot of these in Hawaii just because the seasons aren't so obvious. I can almost feel the cooler air while looking at these photos.
Bee Haven Bev said…
What fun... I am going to look for that sign for our woods!!
chickpea678 said…
Wow. The color of the sky in those last few pictures! Your area is so gorgeous and filed with such fun fairs! And what about this troll house?!?!?
chickpea678 said…
What’s the difference between a hobbit and a troll lol? I’m betting you actually know hahaha! For me, they are obviously interchangeable 😝