Scrambled eggs with sauteed kale and shitake mushrooms seasoned with Urfa Pepper.





My newest spice adventure, Urfa Pepper.  I read that this is one of the most popular spices being used by chefs right now so I had to try it.  When I am cooking with a new spice, I like to try it with scrambled eggs because you can really experience the true flavor of a spice when paired with eggs.  Urfa Biber (commonly referred to as Urfa pepper) is a Turkish chile pepper that's distinctive for its dark burgundy color, irregularly sized flakes and intriguing salty-sweet-smoky-sour flavor.  I love the name of the company.


 I had just bought some lovely shitake mushrooms at an Asian market and decided to use them too.

 After slicing the mushrooms, I melted a bit if butter in a nonstick pan over medium high heat.

 Then I placed the mushrooms in a single layer.

 Cover the pan for a few minutes.

 This releases some of the mushroom's juice so you can continue to cook them without adding more butter.  Once browned, remove them and set them aside.

 On a trip to the country I found some fresh hoop house kale.




I sauteed it with a bit of salt and a sprinkling of Urfa Pepper.  As soon as it starts to shrink, set it aside.

 I also bought some farm fresh eggs and broke a few, scrambled them in a bowl and then poured them into the skillet.  These were also sprinkled with the pepper.


 For the best scrambles eggs, you should fold them as you cook them over medium heat.

 The scrambling only happens in the bowl before you pour them into the pan.


 Keep folding until there is no liquid left.  Don't overcook them.

Serve them over the kale topped with the mushrooms.  The flavor from this pepper is wonderful.

 We hadn't been out to the country for over a month.  It's very wintry looking though the temps were in the 70's.  70 degrees in January in the northeast?  But global warming is a hoax, right Donald? (You dumb F**k).  But I digress.


 I only saw one of these and it was on private property.  I must say that in this very rural Trump country, the signs are gone.  We used to see them everywhere however, except for this one, they have disappeared.  I take this as a very good omen.

 It was a beautiful day to be out in the country again.



Comments

TARYTERRE said…
i am intrigued by the Urfa Pepper. if i try this i will probably have to buy it online. i'm sure none of my local stores would carry it. do you have a favorite place online to get it? the scrambled egg recipe sounds delicious. and since we like a good brunch at our house i'm going to try it in the not so distant future.
jaz@octoberfarm said…
you can see the address of the company i bought mine from on the front of the bottle: crimson and clove. or i'm sure you can get it on amazon. it is really good!
Interesting. I have never heard of this.
Nar said…
Perfect for making some Urfa kebab! Have you tried Aleppo pepper yet? It's got a nice tang to it.
Always exciting to try something new, isn't it! (P.S. It's -30C here today).
Leanna said…
Sorry, I haven't been around to your blog lately, I had another flare on Wednesday. That egg dish looks so delicious. I really wish I could eat eggs like that. I can only remember the taste. Eggs eaten like this make my stomach rumble in a most unpleasant way. People are noticing that Drumpf is a liar and thief. They are finally waking up.
Leanne said…
Sounds a good thing to try!!! And very promising re the signs - The Trump voters are a scary race!
Guillaume said…
Scrambled eggs are so simple, yet they can be so delicious.
TARYTERRE said…
thanks for the info. got my Urfa Pepper on order. will be arriving soon. then i'll be making the eggs. yours look delicious.
Rain said…
Geez, no snow! Your dish looks delicious, I love those mushrooms!