Quarantine Day #46 Ramp Season

 Because of the quarantine, we've missed all of our Spring festivals.  Missing the Maple Festivals was bad enough but missing the Ramp Festivals was the worst.  My Daughter managed to find a guy who lives way up in the mountains and he sells ramps. She and The Chef arranged a safe meeting and they bought me 8 pounds of them.

 And she cleaned them for me!!!  The best gift ever.

Allium tricoccum - Wikipedia

https://en.Wikipedia.org/wiki/Allium_tricoccum
Allium tricoccum (commonly known as ramp, ramps, spring onion, ramson, wild leek, wood leek, and wild garlic) is a North American species of wild onion widespread across eastern Canada and the eastern United States. Many of the common English names for this plant are also used for other Allium species, particularly the similar Allium ursinum which is native to Europe and Asia.


Then I got busy turning them into all of our favorite ramp foods.

 First off, I made lots of ramp butter to give to everyone and to freeze.

 I form them into logs and wrap them tightly with plastic wrap.


 And then they go into freezer bags and into the freezer.  They last all year. I made 8 pounds of it.

 I sauteed a bunch of them in olive oil with salt and pepper.

Don't these look good?



 They topped pizzas.


 The dough is brushed with ramp butter and then topped with mozzarella, provolone and parmesan.

Then the ramps go on top.  These were delicious.

The W's always get a small pizza of their own.  Rampless though.

 I made ramp ranch dressing.

 And diced sauteed ramps to top hot dogs.

 And more ramp butter.

 I made hot dog buns for everyone too.

And some pao de queijo to eat with ramp butter.  Appalachia crosses paths with Brazil.  The bad news is that now I'm out of ramps.  The good news is the mountain guy has morels and fiddleheads and  My Daughter and The Chef are heading back up there soon to get some from him.  They might be able to get more ramps too. I didn't quite make everything we like but with a second wave of ramps, I can do that.

Comments

Valerie said…
One of these days, I'll be able to try some ramps. We have some wild onion type things out here, but I don't think they are ramps.
Mary said…
I can feel you jumping up and down from up here in New England, see it is the little things that makes us happiest. Be safe
aBell said…
It will be BEST SECOND WAVE EVER! Congratulations? And most of all what a wonderful daughter.
bobbie said…
I'm drooling here! Have fun!!
DVArtist said…
Wow. This is just amazing. I am drooling as well. That butter is fabulous. Just send me some pizza please. Oh I am making your hamburger buns today for our dinner tonight. Thanks for sharing your wonderful skills.
How fortunate that she found a ramp supplier for you! Everything looks delicious.
It all looks so delicious! Too bad I can't grow the European relative here since Albin would eat them all :-) :-)

Have a great day!

Christer.
Leanne said…
Bestest surprise ever for you!! And more to come. You must be a happy gal
Kay said…
This sounds so very wonderful. I would sure love to try ramp someday. I’ve never seen them at the grocery store.