Moving into the Next Growing Season

 I took off early yesterday and left the mountains to stock my larders.  I am doing most of my shopping in Amish country because most of the shops are open and on the side of the road.  The Amish are being very careful with sanitation and mask wearing and if you time it right, you can be the only one shopping.
 I just love driving here and seeing all of the changes that each season offers.


 We have had very dry weather so no problem picking a day to cut hay.




 It's strawberry season and though I wanted to buy flats of them to make jam for all of my friends, I'm too busy so I only bought a few quarts. I bought twelve dozen eggs and rolls of Amish butter.

 Why are the strawberries so sweet this year?  Do they do better when they go through a mild winter?





I was so disappointed to find that the asparagus season is over.  We ate it every day for 2 months.  I will gladly ease into scape season though.  Today I will make lots of scape butter and this is the beginning of scape omelets. And of course, some more strawberry jam.  I love these trips but I sure miss my daughter accompanying me.  I hate this virus.


Comments

DVArtist said…
Very nice. It is so pretty there.
I just made some strawberry/rhubarb compote yesterday -- delicious!
Leanna said…
I really wish we had roadside fresh egg and butter sales like y'all do. I would go crazy. We do have loads of fruits and veggies at roadside markets though. I bought four 5lb. baskets of elderberries last year. That includes the stems because elderberries aren't eaten fresh and they come on the stems. It would cause you to have stomach problems if you wanted to eat them fresh and besides they don't taste good fresh. You have to take the berries off the stems and then pour hot almost boiling water over them to make them juice up and then mash them and strain the juice out through cheesecloth to make the jelly. It's a big process but it's worth it when you have the jam or jelly in the end. Last year I made only four jars of the jelly but this year I'm hoping to make 10 jars for friends and family. I also make pickled watermelon rind. Oh man, I love it. I do love the roadside vendors for their fresh wares.
Guillaume said…
Already in an autumn mood?
Those are peaceful scenes. It seems strawberries are sweeter in Alabama, too.
It is the sun that make the strawberries sweeter normally. Have there been more sunshine where the strawwberries grow this season?

I haven't bought any strawberries yet this year, they were thee times as expensive before midsummer because no workers were allowed in to Sweden to pick them, mostly people from eatern Europe since Swwedes are too lazy to take jobs like that.
Now when they have been allowed to get in to pick the berries the price is as it should be but there are never any left by the time I get to the store after work :-) :-) :-)

Have a great day!

Christer.
Rain said…
I found a strawberry farm about 30 minutes away from here, I'm going to check it out this week when I go out shopping. The strawberry plants I planted in my raised bed all died, except for one of them. I think this is my last attempt to grow strawberries sadly!
Laura Mildred said…
Am Laura Mildred by name, i was diagnosed with Herpes 4 years ago i lived in pain with the knowledge that i wasn't going to ever be well again i contacted so many herbal doctors on this issue and wasted a large sum of money but my condition never got better i was determined to get my life back so one day i saw Mr. Morrison Hansen post on how Dr. Emu saved him from Herpes with herbal medicine i contacted Dr. Emu on his Email: Emutemple@gmail.com we spoke on the issue i told him all that i went through and he told me not to worry that everything will be fine again so he prepared the medicine and send it to me and told me how to use it, after 14 days of usage I went to see the doctor for test,then the result was negative, am the happiest woman on earth now thanks to Dr. Emu God bless you. Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com Call or Whats-app him: +2347012841542