Bring on Fall

 I'm sure there are some of you that can't get enough of this daily 90+ degree weather with high humidity but I am not one of you.


 It's been a long Summer of extreme heat with little rain.


 I am tired of watering and as much as I water, it's not the same as a good rain.


 In anticipation of the Fall wedding which now has been postponed, I planted all kinds of new perennials.  Mostly all have died back and I'm not sure if they will return next Spring.

 The W's give me dirty looks each morning when I open the door.

 They just don't believe that I don't control Mother Nature's thermostat.

 And the worst is, all of my favorite Fall festivals have been canceled.


 Not that I would have been going to them in the midst of a pandemic.


 But having them canceled takes away any hope.


 So, I will have to figure out other ways to celebrate Fall; if it ever arrives.

 Hopefully, I will find roadside pumpkin stands where I can buy many, many pumpkins.

And just maybe my family can have a small socially distanced outdoor dinner for Halloween.  The things we used to take for granted, eh?

Until then, I will stay vigilant waiting to feel the first cool  Autumn breezes.

Comments

Valerie said…
I used to live in the mountains in the PNW, where in mid-August, you could count on seeing the vine maples start to turn color, and the nights would drop to a deliciously cool 50-60 degrees, even if the days were still warm. I'm coming on my second year in South Carolina, and am getting my weather clock gradually recalibrated. Here we have the hot humidity that takes your breath away. We've had an unusually wet summer, so we're looking at a lot of mildew and mold--my garden is not happy. Still and all, I look for the signs of the seasons' gradual change--ripening corn, a surfeit of tomatoes, the occasional skeins of geese across the sky. The wheel of the year is turning, even in the hot stillness of an August afternoon. Blessed be to you!
I love all these images, Joyce!
Canceled festivals does wipe out hope. The loss of hope is worse than the actual lack of events.
Guillaume said…
Here it's a heatwave, but I put up with it somehow by remembering that it is August already and that we've had a fairly cool summer until now. But I am like you: I hate hot weather. Here too the local September fayre/carnival which takes place every year around the equinox has been cancelled. Maybe we should make our own autumn fayre via social media, using Zoom or Facetime or something of the sort?
Guillaume said…
I forgot to mention that I saw geese flying recently: https://vraiefiction.blogspot.com/2020/08/a-skein-of-geese.html?m=1

A promise of autumn.
aBell said…
My favorite time of year, when the leaves turn those beautiful colors of red and orange and gold, thank you for the dreamy images. My daughter thinks I have seasonal disorder, but the opposite of the rest of the world. I can not abide hot weather. My favorite festival for autumn has been canceled, no fabulous fair foods, no walk among the craft stalls, no encampment of period costumed actors, no fiddle music drifting in the air with the strains of jazz from far corners of the park. It is sad to think I won’t get to enjoy my favorite festival, but I have considered making a fire, spreading quilts and carting my pottery out to my yard and just pretending!
Felicia said…
Last year I began planning a Witches Tea Party for Halloween for my adult girlfriends. Now, it has to be post poned another year. To think trick or treat is cancelled and the town celebration cancelled for children saddens me so. However, maybe this is a year for families to have intimate nights of shost stories and bonfires of Halloween celebrations and feasts for the families and souls who passed on like once apon a time. Take away the commercial crap and bring back the spiritual.