For the Boys


I have a group of young guys that are friends with The Blog Tech and His wife and are now my friends too.  Occasionally, I send food their way. I know they live on Hamburger Helper and Kraft Mac and Cheese most of the time. One of the guys is Polish, so I love to send them Polish food.  We are having perfect Polish food weather too.  I forgot to take pics so these first two are old ones. I brined a pork roast and after cooking it, I sliced it very thin.


I served it over spaetzle with dill.


The spaetzle making process.


I made a lot.

I made a rich gravy to drizzle over the pork and spaetzle.


And I made butterhorns.


Here's the recipe:


Ingredients
  • 1 tablespoon yeast
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1/2 cup warm water
  • 1/2 cup butter 
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 3 large eggs, beaten
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 5 cups all-purpose flour
Instructions
  1. In the microwave or in a pan on the stove, heat the milk and butter together until the butter is melted. (Use medium heat if using the stove). Remove from the stove (or microwave) and set aside to cool slightly.

  2. In a separate small bowl, add the 1/2 cup warm water, 1 tablespoon of yeast and 1 tablespoon of sugar. Let proof for about ten minutes, until yeast is frothy.

  3. Add 1/2 cup of sugar to the milk and melted butter and stir. Add the three beaten eggs and the 3/4 teaspoon of salt and stir. Add the proofed yeast. 

  4. Get out a large mixing bowl or your stand mixer. Pour in all the liquid (the milk, melted butter, eggs, yeast, etc.) Add 2 cups of flour and stir well.

  5. Add the remaining three cups of flour and mix well. Dough will be very sticky. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and place in your refrigerator overnight.

  6. A few hours before you are wanting to serve the rolls, remove the dough from the refrigerator. Pour the dough out onto a heavily floured surface. Knead for 5-10 minutes, adding a little extra flour if needed. (The dough will be much easier to handle now that it is cold).

  7. Roll the dough out into a circle, and using a pizza cutter, cut the dough into 16 wedges.

  8. Grease one or two cookie sheets (depending on their size). Roll up each wedge of dough, starting at the wide end. Place the rolls on the greased cookie sheets, several inches apart, with the "point" end of the wedge on the bottom of the roll.

  9. Cover with a tea towel and let rise for 1-2 hours, until almost doubled in size.

  10. Bake in a 375-degree oven for 18-20 minutes. Brush with melted butter.

These are very good and freeze well. Perfect for Thanksgiving if you are so inclined.


I made bacon halushki.


And sauerkraut.


And for dessert they got an array of treats.


I made the cranberry/orange cake which they love and rosemary shortbread.  These are always on my Thanksgiving Day menu and they were sad that they were going to miss them this year.


My daughter made the cookies with the chocolate roses and I made some pecan bars.I wrote this [ost yesterday so I bet most of this is history by now.


 

Comments

Rain said…
Everything looks amazing! I need to make some croissants...your butterhorns reminded me of that! :)
Lucky guys! The food looks delicious :-)

Have a great day!

Christer.
Mike said…
Why would you want to polish food? Wouldn't the wax make it taste sticky? .... Oh, wait... Nevermind.
Guillaume said…
I generally don't eat pork, but I would eat that.
If I had had your food and was not going to get it this year, I would be sad, too.
Valerie said…
Oh my, what a spread! They are indeed very lucky young men!