Framing

Some progress on the basement project.  The basement has been framed in and the guts of the plumbing has been done. The boxed-in area is where the new heating and cooling will be.  It's a lot larger than I thought it would be but it will be holding two systems since this house was originally a duplex and we've kept the heating and A/C on two separate systems.  I hate to lose the space but there is not an alternative.


This is the future kitchen.  I've ordered the appliances but they won't arrive until the end of October.  One of the stoves won't be in until the end of December!  The two pipes in the upper left of the photo were going to cost 3000.00 to raise them 8 inches so I am living with them as they are. I mean, really? Plus, this is going to be an unusual kitchen so they just add to the uniqueness.


That yucky area was where the old heater and boiler was.  It will become shelving now and possibly even a cupboard.

 

The little door is the entry to my pantry.
 
Old basements hold lots of surprises.  This beam is a tree trunk.


This one is a porch post. They've worked well because this place is still standing a hundred years after it was built.


Both beams will be removed because, to say the least, they are in the way.


They will be replaced with these heavy duty steel beams.


A peek at my garden with the doors removed.  It will be a couple of months until they come back and I am super excited to see them redone.


Comments

Valerie said…
Can't wait to see the final reveal! Are you going to save the porch post and tree trunk supports? I love seeing historical artifacts saved and repurposed elsewhere on the property.
jaz@octoberfarm said…
unfortunately, i am not saving them. i have nowhere to use them or store them. i am offering them to the workers though in case one of them can reuse them.
It's all starting to come together!
I love old houses and their surprises. You can always paint the pipe, decorate it to make it more visible and quirky.
Laura said…
what a big project! looking forward to watching as it comes together.

love & blessings
~*~

ps...hugs to the pups!
Guillaume said…
It's already starting to look like something. Oh and I love the garden pic too.
Unknown said…
Things are coming along. Can't wait to see the refurbished doors in your garden. I bet they're gonna be beautiful.