Garden Doors

I got an update yesterday from the guys that are redoing my garden doors.  They've had them for two months and they are almost finished. These doors are made of Argentinian cedar and are almost 200 years old. I've had them for about 20 years and they have hung in the doorway to my raised bed garden for all of this time. This is a pic of one of them after they sanded it.

Here are some old pics of what they looked like before. They are exposed to the weather all year long and they were looking rather shabby.


The stained glass was ready to fall out and a handle was very loose. They faded to a dull gray.

This is the back of them.  They have panels behind the metal work so you can open them and look through to the other side.

I found two carpenters/artists to restore them. These guys had just started their business and were thrilled to get this job.


This is the same door from the top of the post.  They carefully sanded them down, repaired any damaged wood and removed and cleaned the stained glass windows.  The decorative steel will be refurbished and treated to prevent future rust.  The doors themselves are being coated with a marine finish which soaks into the wood and will make them as weather resistant as possible.

They will look better than when I first had them installed.  I'll show pics of them when they are finished and are back in place. I am so excited to see them restored to their original glory.



 

Comments

Kathryn said…
LOVE your doors, what charm they add Hello again
Amazing doors and great that You found someone to renovate them so good!

Have a great day!

Christer.
Leanna said…
Absolutely gorgeous! They will look so magikal. I can't wait to see the final pictures of the installment.
Unknown said…
Wow, what a huge difference!