Fat Tuesday

Today is the day to eat the last of everything good that you can shove in your mouths before tomorrow when Lent begins.  Thank every pagan god that I am not a christian!  However, I have been known to celebrate every holiday known to man so I will be baking today. Unfortunately, I do not have time to bake paczki  because I have had requests for other Fat Tuesday foods. But I live in the land of Paczki so I thought I should post some pics of these delectable  bites. 


Every bakery, church, grocery store and convenience store will be selling paczki today and all sorts of varieties will be available.  Paczki is pronounced:  poonch-key


Being the stubborn Pole that I am, I will only eat my own which are made with real butter and real eggs so we will not be imbibing in these Polish treats.  Honestly, the stubbornness comes from my Welsh side.  

This is what I am baking today, King Cakes.  These were requested by my kids and some neighbors along with beans and rice. Instead of smelling like Poland today, my house will smell of New Orleans.  Bon Temp! Are you eating anything special for Shrove Tuesday?


 

Comments

I might make some pancakes later. Boring compared to Paczki and King Cakes but it's the best I can do! I trust you're putting little plastic Baby Jesus in each of your cakes?
jaz@octoberfarm said…
i have a collection of king cake babies from new orleans but considering who i am baking for, they would probably choke on them so i am leaving them out!
Bee Haven Bev said…
Oh.... I wish!! I love faschnacts!
Bee Haven Bev said…
Oh, and I won't eat baked goods without real butter and eggs as well.... shortening, oleo, margarine are poison as far as I am concerned.
Susan said…
You are a true master! Everything that comes from your kitchen is superb. I will not be having any special treats for Shove. Last night I loved serving poached salmon with lemon dill sauce, boiled/buttered potato and steamed veg. Yes, bring on the butter!
Leanna said…
I remember my Polish grandma's bakery in Chase county, Md. While visiting and waiting to go to our next army post we stayed at my grandma's home for a week or two. We would go to church (catholic) on Sunday and then start baking until Ash Wednesday morning when we would attend church again and Lent would start. I remember all the wonderful cakes, donuts, pies, and other pastries that we baked for the large Polish Catholic population in the neighborhood. Lots of hard work. It was fun and I learned a lot about baking. One thing I would never give up doing if I had to do it over again.
Guillaume said…
We call it Shrove Tuesday or Mardi gras. We had pancakes, with maple syrup.