Bibim Guksu


This is a favorite meal on hot summer days in Korea.  My husband and I ate this for lunch almost every day when we were there.  It is quick, easy and very very flavorful.  


You can serve it topped with all sorts of add-ons but I really like mine with pan fried tofu.  I press a block of firm tofu until it is very dry and then slice it and brown it in a pan with 2 T. sesame oil mixed with 2 T. canola oil and sprinkled with salt and pepper.  It browns quickly when it is this dry.


It's like eating really good potato chips!


I topped these with hard boiled eggs, pickled sliced daikon, sliced cucumber and green onions but you can top this dish with whatever you like.  Most often in Korea, it is topped with a dippy egg.

Ingredients

  • 8 oz somyeon (thin wheat noodles) or buckwheat/soba noodles
  • cucumber, kimchi, boiled egg, crushed sesame seeds, and/or any other toppings of choice optional, for garnish

Sauce

Instructions

  • Combine all sauce ingredients in a bowl and set aside.I prepare the sauce a day ahead so the flavors combine but you can prepare it just before eating, it will still be excellent.
  • Cook noodles according to package instructions. Drain and rinse the noodles in ice-cold water. Drain well and place in a bowl.Do not over cook the noodles.  They take about 3 minutes.
  • Add the sauce over the noodles and mix together until the noodles are evenly coated. Using your hand to blend the noodles with the sauce works best.





 

Comments

I used to eat some kind of Korean dish that had the word "Bim" in its name too. It also had a fried egg on top. I bet "Bim" means "egg"!
Megs said…
Thank you for this recipe! That looks so good, and the tofu idea is genius!
Guillaume said…
Looks delicious. My wife cooked some Korean food before, I think, Gousto recipes.