Tian

Yesterday I made my first Tian of the summer. I also forgot to take the pictures of the first steps. I will be making another one soon and I promise to remember to photograph it from beginning to end. Tians (tee-uhns) are a French dish. These are a fantastic way to use up your garden's bounty. This is a basic recipe but you can use whatever you have in abundance. To get to the above step, I already sauteed onions in olive oil with assorted herbs from my garden. Yesterday I used fresh oregano, marjoram, rosemary and basil. I sprinkled this with salt and pepper as it cooked. You cook it just until it starts to soften. Then I threw in about 6 cloves of chopped garlic. The above pic shows layers of eggplant, and tomatoes topped with the onion mixture.


In advance I sliced the eggplant and sprinkled them with sea salt and let them sit for 20 minutes. Then I rinsed them and patted them dry.


Also in advance I sliced up three zucchini.


You can use up any cheese you have in your frig. I usually use a combination of Jarlsburg, Fontina and Parmesan.


After the above onion mix layer I sprinkle some of the grated cheese. Then I add a layer of zucchini.


Drizzle olive oil lightly on top of the zucchini and sprinkle with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.


Add some more grated cheese.


Another layer of eggplant.


Sprinkle more cheese on top. And then top it off with a sprinkling of Parmesan. Place it in a 350 degree oven and let it go until the liquid around the edges bubbles and begins to thicken. The liquid must be bubbling or the Tian will be too watery. If it darkens too much cover it loosely with aluminum foil.



It should look like this when it is done. Let it sit for 30 minutes or so before slicing. This can be served warm or at room temperature. I had extra pesto I made a few days ago and I also added some of it to this Tian. The smell is incredible and the taste is even better. This will keep for days in the refrigerator.

Comments

Kim Campbell said…
I have the same book, black one with the word Spells in silver. It was a gift from a witch friend in Illinois.
Dede said…
I could finish eating dinner and come to your blog, leaving hungry. LOL What a talent you have! I hope you have these wonderful recipes written down to pass down.
Okay...can I come live next door to you and be your food sampler? Especially anything with chocolate in it since you don't like chocolate! Your blog is making me more and more hungry. I'm going to have to refrain from reading it until I am eating or full!