Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Brining the Bird

On my very messy garden room table, I decorated a small tree.


This is going to someone that can't have a real tree.


Topped it with a big butterfly and placed smaller ones all over it.


If you want to brine your turkey there is still plenty of time. Just put two gallons of water in a big pot.


Add 2 cups of apple cider.


2 cups of kosher salt.


2 cups of brown sugar.


Some peppercorns.


Bay leaves and thyme.


The rind from a whole orange. Bring this to a boil and then let it cool completely.


Using a large heavy duty hefty bag...


Put your turkey inside and pour the cooled brine over it.


Place the bag in a bowl and place it in the refrigerator until you are ready to cook it. Turn it a couple of times during this time. Remove from the brine and rinse with cool water. Discard the brine. This imparts more flavor and juiciness to the turkey.

8 comments:

Pricilla said...

I'm not cooking the bird so I am safe...but if I ever do.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I misread the title of your post as "BRAINing the Bird" and thought to myself "OMG, I know Jaz cooks from scratch, but don't tell me that she kills her own turkey?!?" Glad you don't go that far!

Kelly said...

I discovered this process last year. It really does make for a better bird. I just got this years turkey into the brine; he's in a cooler though. He was too big for the fridge.
The tree is lovely.

The cottage by the Cranelake said...

That tree really says CHRISTMAS!
Have a really great day now!
Christer.

Birgit said...

I wonder if that works also with chicken...

Happy Thanksgiving -- and a BIG thanks to you for always sharing such wonderful photos, stories, and recipes. :) :) :)

Hugs,
Birgit

Divaeva said...

What a beautiful tree :) I leave the bird prep and cookin' to my roomate - I have festive cocktail duty! Bright Thanksgiving Blessings!

Autumnforest said...

Yummy idea! Have a super good T-giving!

Hibiscus Moon said...

that butterful on your tree is gorgeous. ENjoy your Thanksgiving!