Yankee Pot Roast

Start with a 4# piece of beef. A top or bottom roast is best.


Crack salt and pepper over the whole surface.


Then sprinkle lightly with flour.


Sear for 7 minutes on all surfaces.


Make a bouquet garni using peppercorns, juniper berries, parsley, bay leaves, thyme and rosemary.


Secure it with string.


After it is seared, remove it from the pan.


Add carrots, celery, garlic and onions to the remaining pan juices and cook to brown.


Put the roast back in the pan.


Cover the roast half way up the sides with beef stock.


Cover and place it in a 300 degree oven for approximately 4 hours. Try to ignore the state my severely overused oven. I cook a lot.


When the meat is fork tender remove it from the liquid and tent it with foil. Remove all the vegetables from the broth and add new carrots, celery and onions. Return the covered pot to the oven and let cook for about 45 minutes.


The vegetables should still have some bite to them and should not be mushy.


After 45 minutes remove the vegetables from the broth.


Place the pot with the stock on the stove top. Add some red wine to taste and bring this to a boil. Add 3 tablespoons of butter mixed with 3 tablespoons of flour and whisk until it begins to thicken. The gravy should not be too thick. As I reviewed these pics I wondered what that is in the sauce? The answer is at the end.


Shred the meat and plate it with the vegetables. Pour on some of the gravy.


Scoop some mashed potatoes into bowls.


Surround them with some meat and vegetables.


Ladle gravy over all.


Classic comfort food.


My kitchen light was reflected in the gravy.

Comments

Tori said…
YUM!! Pot roast is classic comfort food. A great meal for a cold day.
Anonymous said…
I am coming to your house. YUMMY!!!
Maluszeq said…
I'm vegetarian but it looks delicious :)
Mother Moon said…
another wonderful dinner.. still waiting for the invitation....:-)
The Captain said…
That looks so good! I'm gonna have to try it out
William Bezek said…
I'm not sure which I like better...the roast or the light fixture.
Oh my...I would weigh a thousand pounds if I lived at your house. You let me know if you want to adopt a fully grown child! :o)