Cold Weather, Warm Soup

This is what was going on here yesterday morning.


The temperature was 7 degrees.


So, I made soup. Recently I had chicken and dumpling soup at a diner. It was the first time I had it and it was scrumptious. So I decided to make my own. I roasted a bunch of chicken breasts with their bones and skin.



While they were cooking, I diced 2 big onions.


I melted a stick of butter in a heavy pan.



Then I diced a bunch of celery.


And some carrots.


I cooked these in the butter just until the onions became translucent.


Then I added 4 quarts of chicken stock.


While the vegetables were simmering, I removed the skin from the chicken and pulled all the meat off the bone.


I diced 6 cups and sat it aside. Then I measured out another 6 cups.


Stir the diced chicken into the vegetable mixture and sit it aside.


Bring 2 quarts of chicken stock to a boil.


I missed a few pictures here so use your imagination. I put the extra 6 cups of chicken in a food processor along with some fresh tarragon, parsley, 2 eggs and 2 cups of flour with some salt and pepper.


This gets dropped by spoonfuls into the boiling stock.


After about 5 minutes, remove the dumplings from the stock and place on paper towels to dry. When you are done boiling all the dumpling, add the stock to the main soup mixture.


Ladle the soup into a bowl and add some dumplings.



Teddy enjoyed her soup. She is even asking for more.


Then I made some babaganoush and hummus. This stuff is so easy to make it is a shame to by the store bought stuff. I pricked 3 eggplants all over with a sharp fork and placed them under the broiler turning them often for 30 minutes. These would be better done on a grill but I did not feel like shoveling snow to get to the grill.






While they are broiling, put 4 tablespoons of tahini, some fresh chopped parsley, 4 diced garlic cloves, s&p, 3 tablespoons of olive oil and 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice in a bowl and mix together.



Once the eggplants cool, scoop all the meat out of the skins. Mix this with the above mixture.


For the hummus, dump 3 cans of chick peas into a food processor saving some of their liquid. Add 1/2 cup fresh parsley, 5 garlic cloves, 1 tsp. ground cumin, s&p, 3 tablespoons olive oil, and 1 cup fresh lemon juice. Puree this until it is smooth adding the reserved bean liquid to get a smooth consistency.


This can be served with vegetables, spread on cracker or eaten in pita.

Comments

Anonymous said…
OK, can you please send me the leftovers because DAMN THAT LOOKS GOOD!
brokenteepee said…
I had so many eggplants from the garden this summer I canned eggplant tapenade. It was/is wonderful to have just sitting on the shelf for whenever I want it.

Your soup looks yummy.
This sounds wonderful. Gonna try the dumpling soup recipe for sure. I have never heard of using meat in dumplings, what a delish idea. Thanks for sharing.
Chicken soup that is soo good! I should do that now really since nothing gets one so warm inside as chicken soup om a cold day :-)But I think I´ll skip the dumplings though :-)

I never get the eggplants to taste anything! No matter how much spices I put on them, they just taste like weat toilettepaper. Well I´ve never tried that, but I´ve always imagined it tastes like my eggplant dinners :-) :-) :-)
Have a great day now!
Christer.
said…
It all looks and sounds so tasty! Welcome to the SITS community!
Anonymous said…
Great pictures to accompany great dishes. Seems like hearty food to make in this freezing weather.

CJ xx
Suzie said…
Ooooh, it all looks SO yummy!! I'm going to have to try putting chicken in my dumplings! Thanks for the idea!

I'm with Teddy. I'd be asking for more too!
Divaeva said…
your cooking pictures always makes my tummy grumble! *yum!*
Tracy said…
That chicken and dumpling soup looks to die for. I have never heard of meat in dumplings like that before... now I am going to HAVE to try it. Thanks for the great recipes all the time!
Lucie Le Blanc said…
That looks so delicious !
Toria said…
I'll have to try your baba ghanoush, I've never tried making it before but love eating it. Interesting recipe for hummous, I've never seen it made with parsley or without tahini.
Sharon Day said…
I never thought I'd fight a dog to lick her bowl, but there you--make one of my favorites and feed it to fluffy pooh!
Jen said…
Now that looks perfect for a cold winter's day. Yum. Yum.

Stopped by from SITS to say hi and welcome.
Aussiemade said…
Funny you fed Tedddy Chicken soup today and I fed Toby pumpkin and chickpea with home made chicken stock! He too licked his bowl clean..

I love your recipe for baba ganoush and hummous.
One question I have Jaz how do you keep your tarragon growing in winter? Mine dies off.
Oh hummus and baba ghanoush are two of my favorite foods in the whole world. Never made them myself, going to give it a try!! Thanks so much for sharing.

Cheers!
Bridgett said…
Oh my. Everything you made sounds satisfyingly yummy!

I've never made hummus and actually have a store bought container in my fridge right now ::hanging head in shame::.

I shall definitely try this.

Thanks!