West Point Market....Like No Other Market

The Blog Tech and I drove to Akron, Ohio yesterday to visit West Point Market. We had been there about 20 years ago when the Blog Tech was a very little boy. I remembered it fondly and wanted to go back and see what it was like all these years later. I was not disappointed. We were greeted upon arrival by Larry who graciously gave us a tour of the market. We took so many pictures that I will need 3 days to cover this in my posts. So, take your time and join us on our shopping trip. This is indeed a special place. And as an added treat, this Saturday's new giveaway will be a gift bag I've made up with treats which I bought at this wonderful place!


The sign does not lie!


As you pull into the parking lot you are startled to see the beautiful plantings which surround the building.


Even the entry way from the additional parking lot is charming.


Their flower beds are prettier than most people's gardens.


I mean, really, how ofter do displays like this greet you when you enter your grocery store?


This market is set up like a boutique department store. You won't find the endless stretch of boring aisles that you find in most stores. There is a surprise around every corner. When you first enter, you encounter the wine section which is more like a fine wine store than an aisle in a grocery store.


Coming from a state which has antiquated liquor laws, it is extremely gratifying to see alcohol being sold at the same place you buy your groceries.


And what a selection they offer. Being the foodie I am, I rarely find products I have not read about/imbibed in/or have no knowledge of. So encountering this display was a delight as well as a surprise.


I never knew anything like this existed. I bought some to try and I will let you know how it is afterwards.


They having a charming British phone booth on display and the Blog Tech obliged my photo op request.


This is Mario stocking his wonderful wine area.


Walking through here is like going on an international wine tour.


I love that they offer a 'recession collection'. Click on any of the pics to enlarge them for better looks.



As you leave the wines, you encounter what else but the cheese!


I could have stayed here all day.


What a diverse selection they offer. This is one of my favorites. If you haven't tried it you should.


And I would do a major disservice if I did not mention the people that work here. I have never encountered friendlier, more helpful people anywhere. I wanted to bring them all home with me!


The West Point Market offers all sorts of custom made foods.


Each area also has shelves filled with items and gadgets which can be used with the foods you purchase.


I loved this sausage display.


Just part of their selection of blue cheeses.


A wonderful selection of honeys to accompany your cheese.


They even sell cheese paper. I have been looking for this for quite some time and here it is! I stocked up on it.


As you turn the corner from the cheese section, the beer section is next. I am not a beer drinker and not knowledgeable about beer at all but I was mightily impressed. What a selection!


You can even buy your own little kegs of Hofbrau Oktoberfest. It is almost that time of year.



A beer lover could go a little crazy here.


I bought a six pack of this just because I liked the graphics.


I bought a case of this for the same reason.


I stood here for the longest time just enjoying reading the labels.


Verboten (forbidden in German), Blithering Idiot (which I am sure you might become if you drink a lot of it).


They even post beer ratings!


And, of course, I could not pass up buying something with pumpkin printed on it. Smashed Pumpkin....what a cool name for a beer.

I hope you enjoyed this part of the tour but believe me, the best is yet to come. Stop back tomorrow for day two of the West Point Market tour. You will not be disappointed.


***You have one more day to enter this weeks giveaway. The winner will be announced tomorrow morning and the West Point Market giveaway will be posted at that time!

Comments

Chowz Creations said…
There's also the West Side Market in Cleveland (westsidemarket.org). You have the greatest adventures. How nice your son likes to explore with you. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the photos.
Oh . . . my . . . Gawd . . . You've been to Foodie Heaven! But I must ask about that cheese: "S.O.B. Chevre" -- Son of a Bitch Goat??? LOL!
What a place!
I seldome drinks wine since I get migraine after. But I could get lost in the cheese and beer departement :-) :-)

Here in Sweden they only sell alcoholic beverages in state owned stores called "Systembolaget". But by having it that way it´s said that they can offer the biggest ammount of different kinds of alcoholic beverages in the world.

If the store doesn´t have what You want they can get it within days. But looking at Your photo´s I wonder how many more varieties there really are :-) :-)

Looking forward to more photos!
Have a great day now!
Christer.
Becky said…
My Husband would think he had died and gone to Cheese Heaven there - he is a HUGE cheese lover - the smellier the better!
Sharlene T. said…
Looks similar to our Southern Seasons' stores here in NC... you can't believe your grocery shopping, it's so elegant and beautifully laid out... no wonder the folks are so friendly... I would love to work in this environment... eye candy, everywhere! Can't wait for more photos and a look at what caught your eye and pocketbook!... looking forward to your next visit...
oh my god is right...foodie heaven..i laughed when i saw the pumpkin ale..i buy it every year too...how could i pass that up...john doesn't really like it..but we do manage to drink it somehow..i would STILL be in the wine section...omg....love it..and the cheese...

down in santa barbara (an hour and 15 minutes south) they have a store kind of like this called Lazy Acres...my blood pressure goes up when i walk in there..julie and i like to to go right before the holidays...PURE HEAVEN..we fondle the wine bottles...smell the cheese..lust over the produce...grocery stores are my most FAVORITE thing in this world...
can't wait to see more..
and it looks like the blog tech survived the durian

kary and teddy
Guillaume said…
I am a beer lover and I would indeed go crazy there. I am lucky to have visited these kinds of places in Québec.

I love gourmet food shops like this one. I could spend days there.
Anonymous said…
WOW the selection is huge! My man would love the wine and beer sections. I'm more of a cheese person myself. Can't wait to see tomorrow's post.
brokenteepee said…
Wow. I am sure I would have loved it there. I might have gone in and never come out.
Wow... What a place! I could easily spend hours in there! The wine section: amazing-looking, the cheese section: mouth-watering, and the beer section: I'd be in heaven! I love pumpkin ale! ♥
Teresa said…
Wow! What an incredible market. It is unbelievable that they can have so much stuff in such a nice setting.
Whats a great place evrything available here.I like wine and so many wine available for this market./
Anonymous said…
pretty cool stuff here thank you!!!!!!!
OMG! I would have to spend a week. I'm looking on MapQuest to see how far Akron, Ohio is from me. This place is fabulous!
What an incredible place! I'd be broke already - wine, beer, and cheese... the fall pumpkin ales are some of our favorites in our household.
Can't wait to see the rest of the store.
Jennifer said…
Oh, it all looks wonderful! Thank you for sharing all these pictures...can't wait for the rest of them!
Debbie said…
Very cool place! Looks like you need to think about spending the entire day there! Looking forward to seeing the rest of the photos. Love that Blog Tech enjoys the traveling shopping routine with mom! So much to look at and buy....Hog heaven!
urgh, I am crushed, I live 20 minutes southwest from this market... I could have met you in town for lunch IN PERSON... urgh.....gasp... I could have taken you to my favorite Halloween store, My favorite thrift store... sigh.... YOU MUST let me know the next time you plan to come to town... MUST