How To Use All Those Peppers in the Garden

Make stuffed pepper soup. I don't know if this is a regional dish or not but it sure is good.


You can eat some with a meatloaf sandwich. I had this pic of one of the meatloaf sandwiches I made the other day and I thought I would throw it in here.


We have a rather severe drought here and my vegetables were suffering. I tried to water but even that no longer did the job. So, it was time to pull out all of the plants. The remaining peppers were very small but their flavor was actually more intense since they were not plumped up with water. I made this recipe up as I went along so once again I don't have much in the way of measurements. I started by thinly slices 2 onions.


I sauteed a bit of bacon in a heavy pot and when it was crisp I threw in the sliced onions along with the diced peppers and about 4 cloves of diced garlic.


When the vegetables began to soften, I added about 1 1/2 pounds of ground beef.

As the beef browned I added some dried thyme, a good grinding of pepper and some sea salt.


I had some oven roasted tomato puree which I had made earlier but you could add the equivalent of 2 cans of crushed tomatoes.


I added a box of beef stock and two cups of water. I also added a bit of beef bouillon for a richer flavor. I let the soup simmer for about an hour and then I added 2 cups of cooked brown rice.




This is some seriously terrific soup. It has all the flavor of stuffed peppers but in soup form. Served with bread it is a meal in itself. Perfect for a crisp Fall day.

***Remember to enter the giveaway for the fortune telling kit by clicking on the button on my sidebar.

Comments

Melodie said…
Oh, we love stuffed peppers! This recipe is going in my box to try as soon as it is soup weather around here!
Kathy said…
That sounds delicious and is a recipe that will go in my collection. Thanks.
Mother Moon said…
goodness i wish I was at your house for lunch today... that looks simply wonderful
HappyCrone said…
I swear I can smell this, the bacon, the onion, the peppers, o my, and beautiful colour. Does Teddy like peppers? LOL!
That soup looks really tasty! Soup season is on its way so I might do it some day. I think I´ll have to make a green house of some kind till next year, so I actually can have some crops of what I have sown :-) :-) But I am actually having one small pumpkin on my pumpkinplant outside. If the frost doesn´t come back it might be big enough to do something with :-)

Have a great day now!
Christer.
Sharlene T. said…
You are so clever -- a deconstructed stuffed pepper turned into my favorite of all things -- a soup! I love you!... my garden suffered through a drought, too -- lots of greenery but little food... (I'm still working my way around the NC climate for gardening and have pretty much given up on spring gardens... gets too hot too fast)... gonna make this soup using the old eyeball, nose, and taste and have it with some Artisan bread, sit in a chair, and just burp till I fall asleep... thanks for a great Fall soup...
brokenteepee said…
If it weren't for the fact that I can't breathe around peppers this would be fantastic.

But I kind of like breathing....
Hi I just wanted to let you know that i have an award for you at
http://loopysthoughts.blogspot.com/2010/09/wo-hoo-my-first-award.html
Guillaume said…
Looks a bit like a minestrone. I love good hearty soups.
AlphaBetsy said…
I am so craving a good soup and that looks amazing.
Teresa said…
Sounds yummy. I might have to play with a vegetarian version.
Okay, that's it! I'm signing you up for the "Next Food Network Star"!
Guillaume said…
Oh, and the meatloaf sandwich: GREAT idea. With some nice darkish beer, that would be even better.