Clam Chowder

Finally we are having wonderful Fall weather. The skies are overcast, it is drizzling and the weather is cool. Soup time. And better than that.....chowda' time. I love a good clam chowder but there is a lot of bad stuff out there. You know what I am talking about. The gluey, pasty stuff you can stand your spoon up in it. Ugh! True calm chowder does not come close to that awful stuff.


This is the lineup for the good stuff.


Dice the onions into small pieces.


Cook about 8 slices of bacon until crisp. Remove the bacon and use for something else but leave the bacon grease in the pot.


Add the onion to the hot bacon grease and sprinkle it with sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper and dried thyme. Stir this around and cook over medium heat until the onions start to become transparent.




Add the diced celery.


Then add a stick of butter.


Sprinkle about 3 tablespoons of flour and stir it in and cook for a bit to get rid of the floury taste. Add a quart or more of clams with their juice which should be a good two cups. If you don't have enough clam juice, add canned clam juice. Then pour in about 4 cups of whole milk.


Cube the potatoes. Don't peel them! The size of the potatoes seems to always be controversial. Some people believe they should be small cubes. Others like large chunks. I make them as big as my mood. As you can see I was in semi good mood when I made this.


Add two bay leaves.


Simmer the soup over low heat until the potatoes are tender. Taste to adjust the seasoning.


This is such an easy soup to make. You can use fresh clams and steam them then chop them. You can buy diced clams at the fish store or you can use canned. This recipe also works as a fish chowder by adding a flakey white fish or salmon. You can also add shrimp and lobster! But for a true New England clam chowder, follow the recipe as I showed it.


Mmmmm....bring on Sunday football.

***Remember to enter the giveaway by clicking on the button under Teddy's Treats on the sidebar.

Comments

Mother Moon said…
one of my all time favorites to eat in the colder weather.. and I will tell the truth... no one can make it like a true northerner... it looks simply yummy....
Soo delicious! But I make it too seldom myself. And as You describe, shrimps can be put in too and I usually does that.

Have a great day now!
Christer.
brandi said…
~i really should try...i had a bad experience long ago and my husband asks for this every so often...now might be the time to try once more...you make this look ever so good...warm wishes and brightest blessings~
Rosemary said…
What a yummy looking chowder. Rainy and cool here, maybe an onion soup would be good here..
That looks so good, could you leave out the clams, add extra potatoes and have it be potato soup? That's the ultimate comfort food for me. I'm gonna have to try it.
o.k. here i go...i am giving this a try...looks wonderful. john is standing over my shoulder...and drooling...it does look good....

off to the grocery i go.....
brokenteepee said…
The hubby is the one allergic to clams. I love them.
Baby clams just steamed.
Aaaaah, heaven.
Good chowder too. Haven't had them since the last time I went home. Wouldn't exactly trust clams in Montana, you know?
MissGracie said…
Yumm, I love clam chowder. I am definitely going to make this on a cold day soon.
Cindi Myers said…
You are lucky that I live so far from you! Otherwise I'd drive right over for a bowl!
BeMistified said…
I really hate the chowder where the clams are not cleaned out all the way, and you go to bite and yeah it's sand and nearly breaks your teeth. I really hate that.

Yours, however, looks devine! And there is BACON! Pure awesomeness.
Sandi said…
I don't usually cook, but everything you show makes me want to try it and then to eat it. I am very into comfort food right now.
VictorianGypsy
William Bezek said…
Yummm, that's some wicked good chowda' there that is (that was my best cape cod accent)
Scrap Vamp said…
Such a yummy looking dish! i've never had clam chowder before and this sure makes me want to try it! Also, wanted to let you know that you won my giveaway over at my blog, so if you could please drop by and check that out.

http://scrapvamp.blogspot.com
SharleneT said…
Oh, yummy! I love a good Clam Chowder and this looks divine... with bacon and butter, you just can't go wrong... ask Julia Child... great instructions and pix... thanks for sharing... come visit when you can...
Creepy Glowbugg said…
You are killing me with these delectable receipes! The chowda looks amazing! Getting the ingredients tomorrow.
BTW, I have sculpted a witch face/mask and need a good, authentic name for her. Any suggestions?
Here she is:
http://creepyglowbugg.blogspot.com/2010/10/canadian-nickel-scrapns-little-hop-of.html
~Kristen~ said…
My mouth is now watering! Oh how I love a good, true New England Clam Chowder!
Sharon Lovejoy said…
P.S. My friend Ginny (raised on coast of NH) says NO. She says you HAVE to use evaporated milk. And you say...?

S
Jennifer said…
I tried some clam chowder from a can once and it was gritty and gross so I never tried it again. I might just have to give it a second chance using your recipe! Thanks.