Cauliflower Soup for a Cold Day

It is a perfect soup for a day like today.

This is what it looked like this morning when I looked outside. I've posted this soup before, but for those of you who missed it, this one is for you!


Teddy waiting to go outside this morning.


But mama, I am still so tired!
I think I will just sit here a while longer.
Needed ingredients.


I got out my Pyrex bowls to hold all of the prepared ingredients. I love these bowls. They remind me of fall.


Cut the cauliflower into small pieces.


Dice the carrots.


Dice the onions.


Dice the celery.


Melt a stick of butter in a large pot.


Add the onions and saute' for a few minutes.


Add the carrots and celery.


Stir them to combine and saute' a few minutes.


Then add the cauliflower. Stir it together with the other veggies.


Cover the pot and simmer for 20 minutes.


Pour 4 cups of whole milk in a bowl. Stir in 3/4 cups of flour.


Melt another stick of butter in a separate pan.


Add the milk and flour mixture and whisk over medium heat until it begins to thicken.


While the milk mixture is thickening, add 8 cups of chicken stock to the cauliflower.


I used veal demi glace because I was out of chicken. Use chicken demi glace if you have it. You can also use chicken bouillon but adjust the salt.


Stir the demi glace into the soup.


Add 4 bay leaves.


The flour and milk mixture should be slightly thickened. Pour in 1 cup of half and half.


Add this mixture to the cauliflower.


Add 2 teaspoons of salt.


Add 2 tablespoons of cracked black pepper.


Cover and simmer 30 minutes.


Stir in a handful of chopped parsley just before serving.


Place a heaping tablespoon of sour cream in the bottom of a large soup bowl.


Ladle soup over the sour cream and stir to blend.

This is the best cauliflower soup I have ever eaten.

Comments

brokenteepee said…
One of my favoritists soups in the world.
I'm going to start the sauerbraten today!!!!!
Diane said…
I love cauliflower soup but this is totally different to my recipe. Will give this one a try, thanks Diane
This looks sooo good. I'll make this on Monday when it gets cold again. The temp. today is 52 degrees and I can't stay in the house. I really want to plant something.
Robin Larkspur said…
What a great soup, looks scrumptious! And it is a pleasure to see how enthusiastic Teddy is in the mornings!! Quick, get her a cup of coffee!! hehe.
i had never had cauliflower soup before and when julie and i were in new hampshire it was a cold and rainy day and the waiter said they had cauliflower soup that day...hhhmmmm...i have never had that one...i don't know..is it good? he said..trust me ....order it...well, i did and i have never forgotten it...one of the BEST soups i have EVER had...looks great here...i LOVE those Pyrex bowls...i have some old vintage pyrex too... i love it...and hey, are those sleigh bells on the knob of the door.... guess what...i have old sleigh bells on my kitchen door...had them tied with pine and a big red bow at Christmas....now they are on the back of the door....

i just came back from getting tuscan white bean soup fixin's...to go with the bread for monday night

:-)
SharleneT said…
This is just sin in a bowl! And, perfect for the next few days! Thanks for re-posting... And, let poor Teddy sleep in, on occasion. Poor thing... Come visit when you can...
Verde Farm said…
Any soup with a heap of sour cream in the bottom of the bowl is my kind of soup. I just love Teddy--he is such a teddy bear :) I love your copper molds on the wall--great!
Christer said…
Teddy is so cute sitting there by the door :-) I wish my dogs were a bit tired sometimes too, would have been great this morning :-) :-)

But I do have problems with any food containing cauliflower :-)

Have a great day now!
Christer.

I just can´t comment in Open ID anywhere any longer?!
Marilyn said…
I love cauliflower and this looks wonderful and comforting. We are expecting snow this week so this should be a great way to watch it come down.
Anonymous said…
At first I thought, "cauliflower soup? Hmmm..." But after going through your recipe and seeing the photos it really looks delicious.
Califflower anything is fine with me. I love it..so know I will love this soup. Rained all day here..how great this would have been!!