Sourdough Bread Recipe

I made the sourdough again so I guess it is time to give you the recipe. It turned out great the second time too. I would still like this to be a bit sourer and I will keep experimenting and will update you with any changes I make. The Blog Tech told me this morning that no matter how sour it is or isn't, it is his favorite bread. I have been warming leftover slices of this bread in a low(165) oven with pats of butter and I crack sea salt on them just before serving. Each time I have offered these to someone, as soon as they bite into them, they make yummy noises.


The Recipe:

Early morning the day before baking:

* Remove your starter from the fridge, feed it and let it sit at 75 degrees for 3-4 hours until very bubbly.

* Take 12 oz. of the starter and put it in the bowl of your mixer. I am using weights rather than measures because it gives me the exact mixture I am looking for. Feed the remaining starter and let it sit again for several hours and then refrigerate it.

* Add 1 tsp. of instant rise yeast to the starter, 1 T. salt, 2 pounds and 2 ounces of flour and 18 ounces of water.

* Knead this until you have a strong smooth dough. Split it into two balls and let rise at 75 degrees for 3-4 hours until doubled in bulk. Oil the bowl a bit so the dough will not stick and cover with plastic wrap.

* After it has doubled, gently fold it into a tight ball and place it back into it's bowl. Cover with plastic and place it in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours. This will retard the rising and let it develop the sour flavor. I am leaving mine in the fridge for 48 hours to develop a stronger flavor.

* When you are ready to bake your bread, remove it from the fridge and let it rise again until doubled.

* Preheat your oven, with 2 covered bowls in it, to 450 degrees.

* When the oven and bowls reach 450 degrees, carefully remove the bowls from the oven. Using pot holders, remove the lids being careful not to get burned from the steam. They are HOT!!! Spray the inside of the bowls with cooking spray then gently roll the dough into the bowls. Immediately cover the bowl with their lids. Remember, the lids are VERY HOT too!

* Return the covered bowls to the oven and let them bake for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, carefully remove the lids and slide the breads onto the oven rack. I keep a pizza stone in my oven at all times so I just roll the bread out onto it.

* Let the bread bake for another 30 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 200 degrees on an instant read thermometer.

You can see pics of the baking steps below.


This is what the loaves look like just before baking.

I couldn't take photos of transferring the dough to the preheated bowls because you have to work fast and the bowls are so hot you should not let yourself be distracted.


These are the loaves after they are slipped out of their bowls after 30 minutes of baking.


Beautiful loaves of bread. This recipe is fussy but once you get into the routine it is very simple. It is soooo worth it!







The lids hold the moisture in which is very important to a good sourdough.


I like getting the splits in this bread. You can see how chewy the interior is.


The coating of oil from the rising bowls and the enclosed intense heat and moisture causes the crust to blister and gives you the chewy crisp crust which is also very desirable.


Sourdough blisters: Good on the bread, not on your face. Watch the steam when you remove the lids!



This recipe is a bit intimidating but if plan your timing and just take it step by step, you will be thrilled with the outcome.

Comments

Anonymous said…
It´s a long time since I made a sourdough bread, perhaps I should start now when I use the fire heated stove every day. All breads gets so much better in that one. I´ll have this recipe in mind if I do! It looks absolutely delicious!

Have a great day now!
Christer.
Sharon Lovejoy said…
Ok, I am printing this for Jeff and will tape it to the inside of the pantry. HINT. He's pretty sensitive. I think he'll figure out that I want HIM to make it for Me.

Made my mouth water just looking at it.

Warm wishes to you and your Teddy,

Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island
The blog tech is not the only one who thinks this is the best bread ever, so do I. This is not nearly as hard as it sounds. Joyce gives great directions. I started my second batch this morning.

Please visit my blog today for a little more info on this bread and how I got started. So special!
Anonymous said…
Oh Jaz I have been trying sour dough too ! I'd never made it before but my dh is a bread freak and I thought it'd be really good bread for wintertime .
He like you loves the sour taste . I like my bread because it is not so sour tasting . dh would love it more sour .
I've not tried it with white flour yet and I think I shall try it.
I am shocked at how much flour that starter absorbs !!!!!
I sett two loaves to sit for 3 hrs and when I came back they had spread out flat across my pan lol ! I had to re- knead in several more cups of flour !
I can say it does taste great with alpha getti too ☺
Um, do you realize just how . . . sensual . . . your photos of the crust are? LOL! You really DO love this bread!
brokenteepee said…
It does indeed look like you have mastered the bread!
SharleneT said…
You are such a bad influence on me! I'm trying to lose weight and you keep coming up with these fabulous breads, etc.! Yummy! Did you get give us the final starter recipe you decided to use? I can't remember seeing it... but, I'm old and can't remember the first part of this comment!
Not only are you an Artist, in your kitchen! You are an Artist, with your camera, with the results of what you do, in your kitchen. I love it.

Almost makes me wish I liked Sourdough...

Yup, that's right. Neither one of us here, cares for the taste of it.

I know! I know! ,-) We have been missing out on one of the Elixirs of Life! :-) But.... 'Tis so.

Hugs & ♥'s...
'Cause Valentine Day is coming!
Unknown said…
I don't know which to compliment first - your bread making ability or your photography skills! Between the two, and with the addition of Beverly's post today, I am having some serious sourdough envy.
Verde Farm said…
I can’t even imagine how good this tastes out of the oven. It looks perfect and you are making my mouth water. Thanks for sharing :)
Suzie said…
Once again, I've written down another one of your recipes in my book. We love sour dough, so this is a "must".
And Debra is right. .your photos speak volumes about how you feel about this bread! All photographers should have your passion!
abby jenkins said…
glad I waited to join Weight Watchers! I can bet I am going to watch my weight go up after this post.
Unknown said…
This is such a great blog!!! Really makes me hungry just reading and looking at the pictures : ) I recently baked my first loaf of bread and it was incredible!!! I used a starter my friend told me about. It's from Sourdough's International and now I have to spread the word! I loved it. Definitely going to order more when it comes the time.