Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Rustic Irish Cabbage Soup

Since most of the country is under siege by winds and snow, I am posting another soup recipe. Stay home and eat soup!


The lineup, except I left the garlic out of the pic as well as the pasta. I made this up as I went along so they were thrown in later.


Start out by adding olive oil to the bottom of a heavy pot.


Dice some carrots, celery, potatoes, celeriac, turnips, a large onion and slice a head of cabbage. You can use any kind of root vegetables you like.


Dice up 5-6 cloves of garlic.

Add the onions to the hot oil.


Then add the celery and celeriac.


Add the carrots and turnips.


Stir it all around.


Add about 1 tablespoon of cracked black pepper.


2 teaspoons of salt.


2 tablespoons of dried thyme.


Add the cabbage.


Then the potatoes.


Add enough chicken stock to cover the vegetables.


Add 3-4 bay leaves.


Add several tablespoons of chicken demi glace.


And a couple tablespoons of Maggi.


I also sprinkled in a bit of chicken bouillon for added flavor.


Add sliced smoked sausage. You can use a good kielbasa, a smoked bratwurst or Debreziner which is what I've used here.


Stir to combine.


Bring to a gentle simmer. Cover and lower the heat and simmer for about 45 minutes until the vegetables are tender.


While the soup simmers, boil some small shells for about 4 minutes. Add them to the soup where they will continue to cook.


This is what it looks like after 45 minutes.


Add some chopped fresh parsley.


A soothing soup for a miserable day.

12 comments:

thecottagebythecranelakeolof1 said...

That looks delicious and I do love cabbage soup, but the weather is to spring like now for soup :-) But it can change soon I´m afraid.

Have a great day now!
Christer.

My Grama's Soul said...

Oh how I do love homemade soups....this one is so pretty when finished...but alas, it will not agree with my digestion. (O:

Xo

Jo

Beverly@Beverly's Back Porch said...

I'm all over this soup today. Making a pot while I type. The wind is 45 mph and it's now 20 degrees. This is also going to be my brothers Soup-Of-The-Month for February. Thank you so much.
I'm adding parsnips to mine because I have them.

Food, Fun and Life in the Charente said...

Interesting recipe, think I might just give this a try. Diane

Teresa said...

It certainly is a soup day, and that one looks so very good!

Guillaume said...

I might do this for St-Patrick's Day.

Rosemary said...

Not usually a fan of cabbage soup but with the pasta this might be the one. Noticed you use Maggi a lot. Does it add a lot of flavour?

Erin @ I Heart New England said...

Once again, you have caused my stomach to literally growl.

.... Such talent! :p ♥

Pricilla said...

I love cabbage!

Wsprsweetly Of Cottages said...

I love cabbage too..and it's a wonderful soup for this cold weather! Yum!!

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

looks great...i have another pot of white beans one the stop simmering away....we had frost on the rooftops this morning

:-)

teddy is wrapped in his blankie
all cozy
xxx

Lois said...

What a good idea! I've recently read that cabbage and red peppers are good for kidneys, so I am going to make some hearty cabbage soup today similar to this! Lois