A Very Low Carb Meal

Are you watching your carb intake? If so, make this dinner. You won't be sorry and you won't feel deprived.


Instead of mashed potatoes, I made mashed cauliflower. I made it the same way I do my potatoes. I poured milk in a bowl and added some butter and a few tablespoons of cream cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.


Using lean ground beef, form hamburger patties that are mixed with a bit of Worcestershire sauce and dried onion.


Boil cauliflower in salted water until it is soft. Drain it thoroughly.


It becomes translucent when it is done.


Make some gravy. Heat some oil in a pot and add a bunch of chopped vegetables. I used parsnips, turnips, carrots, onion and celery. Cook them until they turn golden and the bottom of the pan is brown. This takes about 30 minutes. Sprinkle the vegetables with 3 tablespoons of flour and cook for 2 minutes stirring everything around. Add a cup of red wine and deglaze the pot. Then add 4-5 cups of beef broth. Add a couple tablespoons Maggi for flavor. Cook until it starts to thicken. Drain the gravy through a sieve to remove the vegetables. Add the gravy back to the pot and keep it at a simmer.


Place the cauliflower in the bowl with the milk and use an immersion blender to blend it to mashed potato consistency.


The gravy should be thickened but not too thick.


Stir some freshly chopped parsley into the gravy.


Season the hamburgers with salt and pepper and whatever seasoning you like. I use Montreal steak seasoning. Cook them over high heat until darkened on both sides but do not overcook. They will continue to cook when you remove them from the pan.


Place a scoop of the mashed cauliflower on a plate. Put a burger on top and drizzle gravy over all.


My family has declared mashed cauliflower as their favorite over mashed potatoes. They are remarkably similar though the cauliflower has much more flavor.

Comments

I like this recipe for mashed cauliflower....will try it verrrryyy soon. We love broiled hamburgers with cheese and the mashed cauliflower would work.

Good recipe!

Blessings for a fine day!

xoxo to "Teddy Sleeps with Her Face in the Dirt".
JennyD said…
YUM. I couldn't agree more! I love mashed cauliflower, and you know what else is excellent? Mashed (just to the lumpy stage) parsnips! Oh my, they have a sweet, nutty taste and with a dab of butter, they are magnificent.
I am really loving your page :D and I still break in to the biggest smiles when I see Teddy. Best looking boy in the whole world!
Anonymous said…
Sounds delicious, except for the cauliflower part :-) :-) But I guess one can do the same with broccoli instead. I don´t mind if it is green :-) After all I´ve made blue mashed potatoes from blue potatoes :-)

Have a great day now!
Christer.
Anonymous said…
What a great idea. I'd never thought of substituting potatoes with cauliflower but it makes so much sense. You are a recipe guru!
brokenteepee said…
Mashed turnips are yummy too but I know they have carbs...
Diane said…
Interesting, mashed cauliflower is on my 'to do'list Diane
I could eat that whole pot of mashed cauliflower. I love it! Plus you make the best gravy in the world.
This looks delicious, and I love mashed cauliflower! I love the gravy recipe! Thanks for sharing!

Mary
mashed cauliflower looks wonderful...and GRAVY is my FAVORITE...i need to make this dish...it looks so great...

Teddy would love some hanburger too...i think i have burnt him out on the Prime Rib
Anonymous said…
Cool. This would also work with sliders. Try some this weekend.
Lois said…
Am I the only person who has never heard of mashed cauliflower? Must try it soon, I have 2 in the fridge that were on sale.
JennyD said…
Mornin'! Thanks so much for coming by and leaving such a nice note :D
It's funny, I was looking for a photo of a parsnip for a silly project and ran across this recipe for a soup. I think it sounds great and I think you'd probably like the site, too.
http://oneperfectbite.blogspot.com/2008/09/gossamer-parsnip-bisque.html
I'm going to make that (after I finish the blasted taxes). Just thought I'd pass that on to you.
Ohhh, and give that Teddy "girl" a BIG hug from me in Virginia :D She is just the most beautiful thing.
greekwitch said…
Excellent! I have never had mashed cauliflower but i have had cauliflower pizza crust and i loved it! Brightest blessings!