Tuscan Egg Sandwiches

If you know a sandwich lover, do them a favor and make this for them.


First make some oven roasted tomatoes. Roasting the tomatoes intensifies their flavor. Slice them in half and place them in a roasting pan.


Drizzle them with olive oil and sprinkle with your herbs of choice.


I used my sourdough bread for these. You need sturdy bread for this recipe. These would be great with the rosemary no knead bread.


I used a sweet and hot mustard on these.


Spread each slice with some mustard.


Then spread on some pesto.


Top each slice with some cheese. I used Havarti and Istara. Use whichever cheeses you like best.


Sprinkle with cracked pepper. I also sprinkled on some Penzey's sandwich sprinkle.


Place under the broiler until the cheese melts and bubbles.


Use a collection of Italian meats. I used capocollo, mortadella, rosemario, sopressata and salami.


Sprinkle a bit of Parmesan on each slice of bread.


Fry all of the meat in a frying pan until it renders some of it's fat.


This takes just a few seconds.


Place the meats on top of the melted cheese.


Fry an egg for each sandwich.


Slice the roasted tomatoes into strips and place on the meat. Top one side of the sandwich with a fried egg.


Put the two sides together and enjoy! Eat with a huge stack of napkins.

Comments

Deb said…
That looks absolutely delish! I can almost taste it. My mouth is watering. Thanks for sharing.
I was just reminiscing about Tuscany this morning! Can't say I ate a delicious sandwich like that when I was there, though. Too bad.
brokenteepee said…
Oh! I haven't seen Mr. Mustard in ages.

The hubby would love your sandwich
Sounds delightful. Going to give this one a try (sans the meat) - thanks for another great recipe.

Cheers!
I can hardly wait. The tomatoes are roasting as we speak. Yum! Thank goodness I already had No Knead Bread made.
just yesterday john said he wanted a sandwhich with italian meats...he eats a sandwhich at lunch EVERY day....he would LOVE this.....

loved the frying of the meat....as kids we had fried salami for breakfast all the time...mom was italian...
Anonymous said…
They do look delicious even if there´s mustard on them :-) :-) But tonight I don´t have the energy to do anything but make some hard bread sandwiches with cheese and tomato slices.

Little Nova is happy that I don´t take her to the vet and end her life at the moment :-) :-) and because of her my whole body aches, But I´ll write about that in my blog tomorrow :-)

Have a great day now!
Christer.
Julie Ferguson said…
I am so hungry for this sandwich!!!
Suzie said…
Dagwood would be jealous!! What a sandwich!! I don't know if I can get my mouth open enough, to take a bite, but it sure would be fun to try!

Hubs is going to love it!
Looks delicious, you must have been feeding an army with all those sandwiches!
SharleneT said…
Joyce, this is just sin on a plate and you know it. Yuh-uh-uhm-my! Thanks for the challenge. Come visit when you can.