Thursday, May 19, 2011

Almond Vanilla Sheet Cake

Here is another sheet cake I made recently.


Melt 1 C. of butter with 1 C. of water in a pan.


Measure 2 C. flour and 2 C. sugar in the bowl of your mixer.


Add 1 tsp. baking soda to the flour.


Add 1 tsp. salt.


Beat 2 eggs in a small bowl.


Temper them with some of the butter/water mixture.


Add all of the liquid to the flour the add 1/2 cup of sour cream.


Add 1 tsp. of almond extract. Beat it until you have a smooth batter and pour it into a greased 10X13 pan. Bake at 375 degrees for about 25-30 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.


Can someone tell me how I did this? I don't think I could have done this if I wanted to. I have never had a cake brown this way. My oven heat is not uneven so I can't figure this out!


Put 1/2 C. of butter in a pan and add 1/4 C. of milk. Bring it to a boil and mix it in to 4 1/2 C. confectioners sugar. Add 1 tsp. of almond extract and if you want, 1 C. of chopped pecans or walnuts. I left the nuts out. Spread the frosting over the cake and top with colored sprinkles.



I keep this in the refrigerator because it is very good served cold.

17 comments:

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

that looks so good...i love that bottle of almond extract..

so weird how that browned...i have never seen that either...and i LOVE the frosting with those cute sprinkles....

i have to make this...maybe this weekend....

happy to stop by
kary and l'il teddy and all the farmhouse kitchen kittys

Robin Larkspur said...

As always, looks like a great recipe. Maybe there was a secret image or message in that brown spot of the cake...OMG...was it the face of Jesus??? LOL! too bad you ate it already!!(disclaimer: I am not trying to insult anyone's religion (especially if they are Canadian))

Pricilla said...

Maybe it's a sign of the coming apocalypse. My oven does weird things now and then. No understanding the oven.

Wait 'til you see the apple caramel cake I made for the firemen. Mmmmm

thecottagebythecranelakeolof1 said...

I agree with the others, it must be a sign of the coming apocalypse :-) :-) :-)

I love the taste of almond so I think this one will be a favorite of mine :-)

Have a great day!
Christer.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

It's a sign! It's a sign! "Don't get all stretched out of shape about the Rapture"

laurie said...

I would like a piece of that,, right about now,,I've never know people to fortell things by way of cake,,cows inards,, tree bark,,, beaver pelts,, acorns on trees yes but not cake,, I like it though,, no disasters though just good things,,please,,

Rosemary said...

Found it interesting to combine butter and water. I am guessing this is an old family recipe... wherever this recipe is from it looks delicious.. love anything almond... will be trying .

the wild magnolia said...

Festive and yummy looking.

I'm hoping to make the pecan sheet cake this weekend.

Happy day.

xoxo to Sweet Teddy Red Fluffs.

lleblanc_nd said...

Yum! Would be great to make for a graduation party.

Mel Mel said...

That looks really yummy! I might just try it this weekend but I'm not a huge fan of frosting so maybe I'll have vanilla ice cream with it. :-)

SharleneT said...

No question, it's a sign. It was pointing to the four corners and that definitely means something, somewhere. I love sheet cakes and anything almond. Great to bring to the church supper. Thanks for sharing. Come visit and enter the give-away!

~ Jayne ~ said...

I finally have my oven restored for baking & I certainly would like to try this recipe.Where do you buy your almond extract from : I have never seen the brand that you pictured before?

edenhills said...

That one sounds so good also. I am such a fan of cakes, and you always have the best recipes.

Teresa

The Favorite Things Guy said...

That looks delicious. One evening, I'm coming over for supper!

Chowz Creations said...

Yum - yum - yum .....
Time and baking temp? This is on my agenda for the weekend. I stopped just short of licking my monitor. =)

Mina said...

What a perfect dessert for those pork chops!

Love of the Goddess said...

Yum! That sounds so good! And the cake looks nice and moist. Thanks for sharing! I will have to try my hand at this! Many blessings!