Portuguese Clams with Tasso

I made this recipe back in the Fall and it immediately became a family favorite, so I made it for my husband's birthday to go with the soft shell crabs.


It is a pretty simple recipe the packs a ton of flavor. Saute a large diced onion in some bacon fat or olive oil.


Add a lot of minced garlic to taste.


Sprinkle in some red pepper flakes.


Add some diced poblano peppers.


And some diced red pepper.


Add fresh cracked black pepper.


Add 2 tablespoons of red curry paste.


Add some Vegeta or seasoned salt.


And a couple tablespoons of Maggi.


This is the important ingredient. Add some tasso ham cut into small cubes.


Add 2 cups of clam juice and some beef demi glace or beef bouillon.


Steep saffron in a cup of warm water and add it to the pot.


You want a very smokey flavor for this dish so I added some Debreziner sausage too. You can add any smokey sausage you like.


Add some chopped tomatoes. I used my oven roasted ones.


Bring to a slight boil and add several dozen little neck clams. You could use shrimp, fish, mussels or all of them together.


Serve with some garlic bread and you will be very happy.

Comments

Anonymous said…
My stomach started to growl when I read this :-) Definitely something I must try this summer!

Have a great day!
Christer.
brokenteepee said…
I miss clams....
*sigh*
Anonymous said…
wow this looks so good,, I bet the sauce is great with a hunk of bread too! Yum!I'm having so much trouble with blogger today,, it wont let me comment,, do you find that?
No doubt about it, ya'll eat well!

Thanks for sharing.

xoxo to Teddy Red Fluffs