Hot Dogs and Macaroni Salad

This is a good recipe to make when you need to feed a crowd. I made this for the 4th and thought I would pass it on. Maybe you can use it for Labor Day!


For the macaroni salad, boil the pasta of your choice. I went the traditional route and used elbows. Add diced red onion and celery.

Squeeze in the juice of half a lemon.


Add about 1/2 cup of mayonnaise and 1/3 cup of sour cream. The amount depends on how much pasta you've made.


Add some salt, pepper, granulated garlic, chopped fresh parsley and celery salt. Add about 1 1/2 tablespoons of dijon mustard.


Mix it all together.


Sprinkle the top with celery salt and refrigerate.


This was the first time I made these so I followed the directions exactly. Next time there are a few things I would change. Buy some regular hot dog buns.


Spread them with mayonnaise.


Then spread them with whole grain mustard.


You can make trays and trays of these if you have a large crowd.


The recipe called for store bought chili. This was the first time I ever bought store bought chili and it is the last time I ever will. Even though I added some additional spices to it, it was pretty awful. Next time I would just make my own in advance.


The recipe also called for putting the relish on the bottom of the bun before adding the hot dogs. Next time I would either drain the relish first or add it to the top. I used dill relish and sweet relish and it made my buns soggy. Ewwww....soggy buns!


Jam the hot dogs together like this in a pan.


Spread on chili and sprinkle with diced onions.


Top them with shredded cheddar and cover the pan with tin foil. Bake them in a 250 degree oven for 45 minutes.


These disappear pretty fast so make sure to make enough.


Simple picnic/party food. This would be good for tailgating too. Football, Fall, cool weather....a girl can dream can't she? I don't know about the rest of you but this endless freakin' 98 degree weather with 90% humidity is not my idea of fun.


Kids love these.


Thank you for all the good wishes for Teddy. Taking her to the big teaching hospital was making me nervous and I have scheduled her for an appointment at our local veterinary hospital early tomorrow. Hopefully she will have the surgery done close to home. I'll keep you posted!

Comments

Julie Ferguson said…
Looks like something my hubby would love and myself as well. I will definitely have to give this meal a try.
looks great for Fall Tailgating....i am dreaming about Fall too...

i could go for a bowl of the mac salad right now...

You are on our minds, Teddy....

we are sending postive thoughts and good energy !!!!

kary and l'il teddy
xx
Chowz Creations said…
Looks delicious!!! I may give these a try this weekend, using Cajun Hot Dog Sauce from the website Deep South Dish. Great chili sauce for hotdogs. I put it thru my food processor once done to make it a bit finer. Sounds like it will be a perfect combination! Thanks for sharing.
Guillaume said…
Strange but I would love to try it.
lleblanc_nd said…
The dressing in my pasta salad always soaks into the pasta. Do you rinse your pasta after cooking? Chill it or not? Maybe the lemon juice is the key. How much elbow macaroni did you cook?

Thanks for all your wonderful recipes!
Anonymous said…
Hotdogs and pasta salad that´s true summer food :-) But I´m very conservative when it comes to hotdogs :-) :-) Nothing on the bread and only one thin string of ketchup :-)

Have a great day!
Christer.
Anonymous said…
We love pasta salads, so this will be one I will try !!
brokenteepee said…
It's only in the low 70ies here today so you would be happy.

Want to buy a yurt?
heh
SharleneT said…
This is a perfect recipe (hot dogs) for demonstrating the tailgaiting ability of the solar oven at the Farmers' Market. Easy-Peasy and yummy. Although I'm not sure I'll ever get past the Southern idea of putting chili on a hot dog. Thanks for the recipe.

Hugs to Teddy. Don't forget to bring her favorite book.
Anonymous said…
those look good,,never saw anything like this,, (I don't get out much,, lol) best wishes to Teddy,, did I read that right, 90 percent humidity,, thats just wrong on all levels,,my sympathy goes out to you,,
I made these and they are wonderful, but do put the relish on top not the bottom. Everyone loved them.

The heat index here at 7:00 p.m. is 107degrees. Ugh!