Turkish Eggs and Foccacia

Sorry for the blurry pic but I am too busy cooking to worry about good photos! I have been on such a Turkish food kick recently. How did I get this far in life without Turkish food? This is my families new favorite way to eat eggs. I just happened to be making foccacia, so I served it with the eggs. I will be making Turkish bread this week.


For the foccacia, pour 1 2/3 cups of water in your mixer bowl. Add 1/4 cup of olive oil and 2 1/2 teaspoons of rapid rise yeast. Add 2 cups of flour and blend. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and 2-3 tablespoons of chopped fresh rosemary.


Gradually add 3 more cups of flour and knead until you have a smooth dough.


Cover with plastic and place in your oven to proof until it doubles in bulk.


The very reason I made the foccacia was so I could try this new Italian yeast which I just bought. When I finished the dough, I noticed the unopened package laying on my counter. I tend to be robotic when I cook. I will use this when I make the Turkish bread.


Here is the dough after it has risen.


You can see the flecks of rosemary in it.


Split it in 2 pieces and spread them out on oiled baking sheets.


Let them rest a bit and stretch them some more. Eventually they should be the size of the cookie sheet.


Press your finger tips into the dough all over it to create little indentations.


Set it aside to rise for a bit. Just before baking, drizzle it with olive oil. It should accumulate in the indentations. Crack sea salt over the surface.


While the dough was rising, I made the Turkish eggs. Place about a cup of plain Greek yogurt in a bowl.


Dice about 5 cloves of garlic and stir it into the yogurt. Let this sit while preparing the eggs.


In a small pan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter with 2 teaspoons of paprika and 1/4 teaspoon of powdered sumac. Sumac is my new favorite spice. I don't quite know how to describe it other than it is wonderful. Whisk this until the butter is melted and the spices have blended in.

Poach as many eggs as you wish. I poach them by filling a frying pan with water, 1 tablespoon of white vinegar and 1 teaspoon of salt. Bring it to a boil and then turn it down to medium. Break each egg into the water. It will take about 4-5 minutes to poach. Remove them from the water and place in a shallow bowl.




Pour the sauce over the eggs. This takes poached eggs to a whole new level.


Serve them in bowls topped with the garlic yogurt and a piece of the bread on the side.


Bake at 425 degrees for about 20-25 minutes. I slip them out of the pan halfway through and finish them on a pizza stone. You can just leave them in the pan if you like.


It should be golden and crisp on the outside.


And chewy on the inside. This is one of Teddy's favorite things in the whole world.

Comments

Suzie said…
Wow! How enticing! But now where did you get the powdered sumac? I have a feeling that is something that I'd need to buy on-line.
Anonymous said…
wow, that does look good but I have no Idea what sumac tastes like.We have sumac trees here with redberries on them,, I wonder if thats where it comes from,, I'll go google this,, lovely bread,, I think I can smell it from here!!
i guess i am going to have to get on the sumac wagon....looks so great !!! and i am HAPPY to see......BREAD BAKING !!!!

i have to get going back on that again too...

it all looks so GOOD !!!

I bet Teddy loves that bread
:-)

kary and l'il teddy
Diane said…
That sounds just fantastic, I have never heard of sumac, wonder if I can get it here? Diane
Nar said…
Middle Eastern grocers might carry sumac, or you can order it online. Turkish food is amazing! I'm so happy to see some Turkish food posts. I lived in Istanbul for 2 years and I love to make Turkish food.
brokenteepee said…
Teddy is the best fed dog in the world. And the most cosmopolitan!
Anonymous said…
Oh yummy yummy, that looks so very delicious. I love Turkish food too and we can get it here in The Netherlands, because we have a large Turkish population ; )
Have a great day.
Anonymous said…
My sister and I often have lunch at a lovely little Turkish place in Nashville. OMG! It is truly the only time we are together that we are not talking non stop because we are too busy stuffing our faces and making sounds and faces that border on obscene joy. ;-)
petoskystone said…
gorgeous sauce! i will take your word on how well poached eggs work with it as i have this issue with runny yolks (a/k/a/ 'sushi chicken')...;)