Pumpkins Doughnuts and Salem

I made these doughnuts just before we left on our annual trip to Salem. I will be posting our trip each day. Meanwhile, if you are looking for a good Fall doughnut recipe, this might be the one. These did not last long! This recipe makes cake doughnuts, the kind my mother made when I was young.


Mix 3 cups of cake flour with 1 teaspoon of salt, 2 teaspoons of baking powder, some freshly grated nutmeg, 1/2 cup light brown sugar and 1 teaspoon of baking spice (pumpkin pie seasoning). Set this bowl aside.




In the bowl of your mixer, mix 2 egg yolks, 2/3 cup sour cream, 2 tablespoons softened Crisco and 1/2 small can of pumpkin puree'. Mix this until it is creamy. Slowly mix in the flour mixture with your paddle attachment. Don't over mix. Refrigerate this over night.


The next morning, roll the dough out on to a floured surface. I use this vintage doughnut cutter to cut my doughnuts.


You jut roll it across the dough and it cuts out the holes and the doughnuts. Pretty cool!


Heat your oil to about 330 degrees. Drop a few doughnuts into the oil and fry, flipping them over until they are uniformly browned.


This is my Waring deep fryer. It is my favorite because it is easy to use and better yet, easy to clean!


This is the color they should be when they are done. Drain on paper towels.


Before you fry the doughnuts, make the glaze.


Mix 4 cups of powdered sugar, 1/4 cup of pumpkin puree', 1/2 teaspoon of maple flavoring, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, 2 teaspoons of light corn syrup and a pinch of salt. Beat this until smooth. Dip each doughnut into the glaze and let dry on a baking rack.

Comments

DVArtist said…
I have to stay away from donuts. Why!? BECAUSE I CAN'T STOP EATING THEM. These sound sooo good. I might have to try them. LOL
Nicole/Beadwright
Anonymous said…
oh my these look tempting,, your recipes all have so much care to detail,,not like any I have ever read.You always have little twists,, the pumkin glaze i have never heard of,, of course i'm not very worldly and don't get out much,lol
Barbara F. said…
You sure can cook! and bake!! Me, I am a much better eater, I think. Still available for adoption, just sayin'. :) Have a great trip. I have always wanted to visit Salem for Halloween. xo
Ashling said…
There's a new rule in blogging world. If you write about something delicious, you must send out samples to your avid fans. Let me know if you want my address....

Have a lovely time in Salem!
Have a great trip! Can't wait to "see" Salem again this year for Halloween!!
Guillaume said…
Interesting doughnut. I remember some Dunkin Donuts' Halloween donuts. But for me, donuts are more something you eat at Christmas.
Excellent doughnuts. Be safe. Have tons of fun. Fried clams for Teddy.
Barb said…
Can't wait to see your photos of your Salem trip! Since I have weight to loose, can't look at the donuts!
Marigold said…
Can't wait to hear about your Salem trip! I'll bet it is more exciting than the one the Little UnDead took today. :)
Anonymous said…
Great recipe;))
I could eat all of those myself. I will be giving these a try for sure. Have a safe and fun trip!
Farmer Jen said…
Oh yum! I must try these myself. And soon! Thanks for the recipe and photos.
Fall in a doughnut! And I sure like that glaze recipie too.
xx
julie
brokenteepee said…
Easy to clean is vital.
They look quite yummy
John'aLee said…
Those look pretty amazing!
Bird said…
You have the BEST recipes! I really want to make these this year.
Anonymous said…
Oh my those look so good Jaz !!
I can hardly wait to see your Salem photos .last yr. was so cool so I really am excited to see what you find . I remembered you saw like a living statue I think it was a witch . have fun !!
Anonymous said…
I've never done donuts myself and those we can buy here doesn't taste much. But my grandmother used to do donuty things filled with different jam's. It was donut dough but they didn't have that hole in the middle. Those I loved :-)

Have a great trip!
Christer.
TARYTERRE said…
You know I was just saying to myself I could use a donut. A local shop is having a BOGOF sale on Maple Bacon Donuts. Then I saw yours. Pumpkin sounds so-oo much better. ENJOY Salem.
Yum... I need to make these! ♥
carolochs said…
Gosh..those look DELISH! I always make donought at Halloween time, a hangover old Catholic habit---we always had doughnuts as a circle symbol of eternal life, to honor our dead. And the habit continued. But I've never made pumpkin ones. Thanks for sharing your recipe! And safe trip to Salem---what fun!!!
TheBlakkDuchess said…
Omigoodnessgraciousme... I am simply drooling over how tasty these look! I think I'll be trying to make them in the imediate future. =D

Have a fun trip to Salem & travel safely. ^-^

XOXO
oh...i missed this....teddy wants a doughnut...and so does mommy...
Loppy said…
The look delicious! Can't wait to try them! x