A Christmas Classic and a Rugelach Recipe


If you want to get your Christmas on, click on the arrow to hear The Blog Tech singing his version of Walking in the Air. It's my new favorite thing! He did all the music too.


Here is another new favorite.....rugelach!


First make the dough. Put 8 oz. of cold cream cheese and 2 sticks of cold butter, cubed, into the bowl of your food processor. Add 1/2 tsp. of salt, 1-1/2 T. sugar, 2 T. sour cream and pulse and 2 1/2 cups of flour and pulse until crumbly.

Divide the dough into 3 pieces, wrap each piece in plastic and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

The next day, roll 1 piece at a time out until you have a very thin sheet.


Spread your favorite jam on the surface. I used apricot on some and raspberry on the others. Sprinkle finely chopped walnuts over the jam and then sprinkle it with cinnamon sugar.


Lay a piece of wax paper over the top and press to secure the toppings.


Roll the dough into a log folding in the uneven sides. Brush it with egg whites.


Slice the rolls into 1 inch pieces.


Sprinkle the tops of the rolls with course sanding sugar.


Here is the raspberry in progress.


Place them on parchment covered cookie sheets. Refrigerate the sheets for about 30 minutes to firm them up. Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes.


Cool on racks.


This is some of the best rugelach I have ever had.


Store in tins between sheets of waxed paper.


Still working on the tree but I think it is about done. Click for a closer look.


This is the ugly tangle of wires from the light repair!

Comments

Millie said…
Those look yummy divine!
Anonymous said…
I like the music!
But that story has never become especially popular here and I can't understand why.

I love rugelach's :-) Strange thing is that I have no idea what we call them over here :-) :-) :-)

Have a great day!
Christer.
Barbara F. said…
I love rugelach. The Blog Tech can really sing! Is this on You-Tube? He may get discovered. I want an autograph.... xo
brokenteepee said…
Really, your first rugelach?! It's a Polish classic.
Cream cheese dough can make so many things. I'm starting tomorrow on my cookie baking. JJ will be getting a workout!
LuLu Kellogg said…
The rugelach looks wonderful!

Your tree is gorgeous also!

Cheers!
Isn't he wonderful! Why can't we have music everyday with your post, it makes the rugelach even look more lovely. Now if we could just smell them!
Anonymous said…
Rugelach are someting I have never made although we buy from the bakery, they look wonderful
What a great job Blog Tech!!
I made the cookies from you post the other day and what a hit they are.I love the white chocolate pepermint kisses and the cookies were really good, I just wanted to thank you for the great recipe.
I made gumdrop cookies today ( long blog post about those) biscotti and lemon bars.I'm baked out today, your tree is beautiful I knew it would be!
Marigold said…
The tree in progress is beautiful! What is the figure on top?
Great music, Blog Tech! You are one talented guy!
TARYTERRE said…
The Blog Tech is going to be a star. That was really good. Enjoyed it. Rugelach seems familar to me. Must have had it, but didn't know that's WHAT it was called. As I remember it was DELICIOUS.
Suzie said…
Let us know when he makes a CD, so that we can buy our own copy! He has a great voice!! Who did the artwork? VERY clever!!

You make even the most labor intensive recipes look easily do-able. What a gift!!! Thanks for sharing another winner!!