Senate Bean Soup

Bev made this soup a while back and it reminded me of how much I love it and how I hadn't made it in a long time. I had a ham bone left from my ham so I made some. You can check out this recipe and lots of other wonderful ones at Bev's: http://beverlysbackporch.blogspot.com/2011/10/us-senate-bean-soup.html

All of her recipes are excellent!


Making the ham stock.


This will make your house smell very good.


I used rosemary, bay leaves, peppercorns and thyme.


Soak a couple cups of white beans overnight. Drain them when you are ready to make the soup.


Strain the stock and add the beans to it.


Add a couple cups of diced onion.



Add the carrots.


Add celery.


Bring the pot to a boil then simmer for about 1 1/2 hours until the beans soften. Mash about a third of the beans to thicken the soup. Add some chopped parsley. Dice some leftover ham into small cubes and add to the soup.


I like to add a teaspoon of cider vinegar to the bowl just before eating. This soup is great served with Captain's Crackers.


Comments

brokenteepee said…
I need a ham bone :(

I am canning my turkey stock today. I was sick yesterday
I'm making a big pot of this as soon as I have my ham bone from making your ham for New Year's Day. I love the idea of adding cider vinegar to the bowl. It will be so nice to get back to basic foods. Thanks for the shout-out!
Anonymous said…
yum!
Anonymous said…
It's soup time for me now after Yule :-) So I'll start with the ones that came from You :-)

Have a great day!
Christer.
Yum this looks good...we had it alot growing up...called Navy bean soup and yes, always made with a leftover ham bone!! Will have to try the spot of vinegar in the bowl!
Homemade soup is probably the ultimate comfort food...this time of year especially!!
Barb said…
I have heard of this soup. I have a nice ham bone left from Christmas. Thanks for the recipe. I now know what I'm going to do with the ham bone!
Nellie said…
How appetizing! Such a good idea, especially if one has a ham bone.
TARYTERRE said…
Love the history behind the soup. Anything that smells as good as you describe needs a place at the table. Take care.
trump said…
One of my all time favorite soups, and wishing you a very healthy and happy new years. Richard
This sounds really good. I enjoy bean soups this time of year so much!