Italian Anise Cookies



These are the best cookies to accompany your morning coffee. Make these a day ahead as they need to firm up and let the anise flavor develop.


I had one of those mornings where my camera decided to focus on my utensils and mixer rather then the ingredient so, there are no step by step pics.

Beat 1/2 C. of softened butter with 1/2 C. sugar until fluffy. Add 3 large eggs one at a time and beat until blended. Add 2 tsp. of anise extract. You can also flavor them with lemon or vanilla or almond. I think anise is best! Add 1 Tablespoon of baking powder. Add 2 1/2 C. of flour. You migh add up to 3 cups. I used 2 3/4 C.. The batter should be the consistency of a thick cake batter. Add 2-3 T. of milk until you have the right consistency.



Use a 1 Tablespoon scoop and place the dough in balls on parchment covered cookie sheets.


Bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes. They will not turn brown and they will be very delicate and cake like. Let them cool on racks.


Make a glaze by beating 2 cups of confectioners sugar with 1/8 teaspoon anise extract and 3 Tablespoons of milk.

After the cookies have cooled for about 10 minutes, dip the tops in the glaze and sprinkle them with colored sprinkles.


I've done it again..this is my 5th Kitchenaid I've gone through. At least this time I just broke the whisk and didn't burn out the motor. I need to find a replacement fast.


Let the cookies rest overnight. Store them in a sealed container.


Eat them for breakfast with coffee.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I second that YUMMMM!!!!!
Candace said…
How I love your cookue recipes! Too bad about so many KitchenAids! I was doing that until I decided to try a Viking mixer and will never, never go back! They have a stronger motor and may cost a bit more, but well worth the price!
Cheers!
brokenteepee said…
Mmmm, I love anise but the hubby hates it.

Wow. I still have my original that is now 30 years old and I have been hard on that baby. She spent three years bumping around in a cabinet as we traveled in the fifthwheel. Do you talk to them...you have to talk to them. Bwahahahaha. yes, I am deranged.
Barbara F. said…
I love these cookies, I was pretty much raised on them. Called "anginetti" in Italian, we renamed them "Jeanettes". I make them for Christmas and Easter. They are easy to make I just hate icing them. xo
Anonymous said…
Well 4:45 am is a bit early for cookies even for me :-) :-) :-) But these seems delicious! I've always been a bit sceptical to use anis in cookies but this just shows I must tryb it :-)

Have a great day!
Christer.
Plus they have awesome sprinkles!
Texan said…
Yummy, I will be over in the morning for coffee and these cookies :O). I will bring coffee.
I love these cookies. Sorry about your mixer. I'm making cock-a-leekee soup today. Smells heavenly!
Ina in Alaska said…
I LOVE LOVE LOVE those cookies. They look so good, wish I had a couple right now!
Nellie said…
Oh, my! I wouldn't be able to stop with just one of these!
Sorry about your beater. I have had to replace one of those only once, but my KitchenAid is over 30 years old, and we've had no problems with it.
Barb said…
Wow! That drippy glaze looks irresistible! So sorry about that mixer - so frustrating!
TARYTERRE said…
My favorite cookies that my mom makes are ANISE. She's been making them since I was a little girl. At Christmas i got to have some and they were a real treat. It had been a few years since I had had them. Yours LOOK yummy too. never had them with frosting, though. Something different.
Anonymous said…
I'm away from the computer for a few days and look what you do!! Yummy yummy blog posts! Everything looks so delicious. You are making it so darn hard for me to resist. I must lose weight!! Oh well, your blog is certainly worth it.