Roasted Tomato Soup with Grilled Cheese Croutons

I wish we had the kind of weather that makes you want to eat a bowl of this soup. This weather is more conducive to making gazpacho. This soup is good enough to eat in any kind of weather.


First I roasted some garlic to add to the soup.


Slice the very top of the garlic heads off and drizzle them with olive oil. Wrap them in foil and place them in a 400 degree oven for about 40 minutes.


In a skillet, crisp some ground bacon in olive oil. The smokier the bacon the better.


Saute' 1 large diced onion in the grease.

Saute' just until the onion is softened.


I am lucky to live by really good vegetable markets that sell great produce really cheap. I bought sleeves of these heirloom tomatoes and paid only 1.00 for 8 tomatoes. I roasted a bunch of them in a 400 degrees oven for about an hour.

Here is the roasted garlic.


I slipped the tomatoes out of their skins and mixed them with the onions.



Then I squeezed in all of the roasted garlic. Pulse this in a food processor while adding some good chicken stock. Add salt and pepper to taste.



Add just a bit of cream to the soup. I added about 1/3 cup.


I used my rosemary no knead bread to make grilled cheese sandwiches.


Cut them into small cubes and serve them as croutons to eat with the soup. Kids will like this.

Comments

Rue said…
Holy gods, I may have just had an org...ahem...a "moment." You've just taken my childhood favourite and turned it into a rich, tasty, naughty treat.

My. Hero.
Guillaume said…
I am not the greatest fan of tomato soup or cooked tomatoes in general but this seems really nice.
Anonymous said…
yum yum yum! I have the perfect weather for this, snow snow and more snow, !!
brokenteepee said…
Looks like perfection in a bowl
Marigold said…
Rue cracked me up! Ha! This looks awesome - as do most of the things you come up with. :)
OMG! That is the best looking tomato soup I have ever seen. For those folks that have not had a grilled cheese on your Rosemary No Knead Bread, they have not had a grilled cheese.
Barbara F. said…
Is it possible to sell food on Etsy? :) xo
Nellie said…
Oh, yum! I certainly wish there were markets near me like the ones that are near you! You are correct about the weather, though. Gazpacho would probably be more appropriate for the weather we've been having.
Anonymous said…
This looks so nice!
It looks as if we'll get soup weather later again this week :-) But first I'll start with the soups I got from You.

Have a great day!
Christer.
Barb said…
This recipe gets shared with my daughter,she loves everything in the soup!!
TMCPhoto said…
on next grocery list: everything I need to make this soup and those croutons. My mouth is watering
Ina in Alaska said…
This recipe looks very close to a tomato garlic soup at a restaurant near my house. The chef includes sun dried tomatos in his and adds a splash of sherry and tops the soup with crumbled blue cheese.

I could make a meal out of this soup!!
TARYTERRE said…
This reminds me of my childhood. My mom used to always make me Tomato Soup for lunch. And if my dad was home he'd have a bowl too, but not before he crumbled a handful of saltines overtop. I like the idea of your Rosemary Bread cut into croutons.